Nostalgia

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Merlin

Nostalgia

Post by Merlin » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:26 am

God... It's been a long while since I posted on this forum. Just got another inactivity notice and logged on to keep my last captain and ship alive for a little longer. Not sure why since I haven't played in so long, but it felt really good to fly around a little and invade a couple of planets.

I'd been transferring storage from one of my older external hard drives a few weeks back and found a couple of maps I'd created a long long time ago. Toonces incorporated them into the game and I'm pretty sure they are still all in use. It's pretty cool to see at least the maze is still alive and kicking.

They should look familiar to most of you...

http://s280.photobucket.com/user/Artori ... sort=3&o=0

http://s280.photobucket.com/user/Artori ... sort=3&o=7

http://s280.photobucket.com/user/Artori ... r.jpg.html

http://s280.photobucket.com/user/Artori ... ort=3&o=15

I'm also happy to see that the Fallen Empire server I proposed is still playable even if most of my old stomping grounds are all dead (P2, P3, Classic, etc.)... R.I.P. P2 and Classic

I wonder if there are any old Space Templar Alliance members out there. I'll have to log on to a few other servers and see one day.

To anyone that knows me and remembers me fondly... hope you're doing well and all the best. I really miss this game. But that was a different time in my life. I had much less responsibility and much more time on my hands. lol

Thank you Toonces. You made a wicked all consuming game. Glad to see it's still around and hope it remains for may more years to come.

Maybe I'll really come back... one day...

***POOF***

Mr Cow

Re: Nostalgia

Post by Mr Cow » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:20 pm

damn forums are straight up dead :'(

Caia

Post by Caia » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:41 am

Mr Cow wrote:damn forums are straight up dead :'(
A-yup.

Luna

Post by Luna » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:08 am

Dead at times, but people still pop in and post occasionally. Got to have things to talk about that give us a common bond, or people have nothing to say.

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:54 am

A lot of people still log in to the forums to read....just look at the old regulars and observe the last log in date. I suspect they are waiting for some changes to the game making it worth wile to play again.

Chicboy

Post by Chicboy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:45 pm

WeGotDeathStar wrote:A lot of people still log in to the forums to read....just look at the old regulars and observe the last log in date. I suspect they are waiting for some changes to the game making it worth wile to play again.
Bingo

hiya143

Post by hiya143 » Sat May 18, 2013 5:26 am

^^^^

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Mon May 20, 2013 6:49 pm

WeGotDeathStar wrote:A lot of people still log in to the forums to read....just look at the old regulars and observe the last log in date. I suspect they are waiting for some changes to the game making it worth wile to play again.
I'm waiting for Toonces to make StarPort 2.

Using the Unity Engine since it relatively easily ports to android/iOs/webplayer/... and it's not unimaginable to recruit community help and thus profit from the huge amount of Unity support that's out there. Yes, Unity isn't necessarily the best engine for mmo's, I know. But if I'm not mistaken SGE's system-based structure has advantages in terms of bandwith/CPU-time and this could be scaled IMHO to a more populated game.

Of course Toonces will use Kickstarter. He has a MASSIVE database of ex-players' e-mails. Send them all a mail informing them of the Kickstarter campaign and its bound to reach its goal.

Yes, the commercial landscape has changed immensely in the past 10 years. Where SGE originated in an age where F2P was an exception and had image issues, its quickly becoming the standard model for online games. That means there's more competition.
It's absolutely not impossible for S2 to find its niche. Adult F2P games could most certainly work, as has been proven by LoL and DOTA 2. Adult hardcore PvP empire building mmo's aren't common. In fact, they're rare.
S2 could become the poor man's EVE.

angelizer

Post by angelizer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:53 pm

Merlin !!!! Its good to see you still check around from time to time :D
Its been a while since i last played but i am thinking about coming back, checking if its worth it.
It would be nice to see the STA banners raised high again like the days of old :cry: