Windows Mode

Report bugs for Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Moleman

Windows Mode

Post by Moleman » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:37 am

As soon as I chose 'windows mode' from the options menu the screen turned upside down, flipped insideout then crashed!

Sinse then each time I try to launch the game the launch screen starts upside down and inside out for 30 secs or so then the client crashes!

3 year old PC with average specs running XP

moleman

feenix
Location: Join the SGE community in TeamSpeak, url: ygss.dyndns.org

Post by feenix » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:08 pm

damm good thing i didn't notice that option i would've been screwed like you, sorry man

edit: well i decided after seeing my ceo window mode worked to try it for my self and found a majoy bug on top of the current bug lol

CaffeinatedCoder
Site Admin

Post by CaffeinatedCoder » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:32 pm

you can edit your client.cfg to say:
Fullscreen=true

instead of:
Fullscreen=false

BlackNova

Post by BlackNova » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:34 pm

Caff, while your in the area, is there any way to make the windows mode move up slightly, so we can see all of the screen?

Nova :D - btw, holdings have gone a bit funny :O
Last edited by BlackNova on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaffeinatedCoder
Site Admin

Post by CaffeinatedCoder » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:34 pm

if the bug is that your start menu is on top of the chatbar you can "auto-hide" the start menu. We still dont support different resolutions so 1024x768 is the way it is. If you can't display more than that then windowed isnt gonna buy you much.

BlackNova

Post by BlackNova » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:37 pm

Mine is on that resolution, but the latest thing said in chat doesnt quite show, which is ever so slightly awkward :O

Holdings display in a funny way also, unless thats intended with the new patch? - awesome job with the windows tho :D

DionysuZ

Post by DionysuZ » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:27 pm

BlackNova wrote:Mine is on that resolution, but the latest thing said in chat doesnt quite show, which is ever so slightly awkward :O

Holdings display in a funny way also, unless thats intended with the new patch? - awesome job with the windows tho :D
if your screen is 1024x768, add the size of the window to the starport window and substract the size of the windows bar. So no, on 1024x768 resolution you probably shouldnt be able to see the entire screen. Switch to full screen mode =)

feenix

Post by feenix » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:46 pm

CaffeinatedCoder wrote:if the bug is that your start menu is on top of the chatbar you can "auto-hide" the start menu. We still dont support different resolutions so 1024x768 is the way it is. If you can display more than that then windowed isnt gonna buy you much.
i did that with the same results the bottom chat bar wasn't showing all the way

caffeinaded player XD

CaffeinatedCoder
Site Admin

Post by CaffeinatedCoder » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:55 pm

I mean you can drag the window around some. So you might be able to scoot it up. Hiding the startmenu will help too.

feenix

Post by feenix » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:00 pm

well it didn't help for me sadly enough, the game decided to shrink down, to the point where i couldn't press the exit button inside the port. i had to go back to full screen then go back to windowed view and had also to show my taskbar ortherwise it wouldn't work for me, i will see if i can make the resolution on desktop bigger but i think i am at the max already

CaffeinatedCoder
Site Admin

Post by CaffeinatedCoder » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:05 pm

moleman, did you get back to working with "Fullscreen=true"?

Moleman

Post by Moleman » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:33 pm

CaffeinatedCoder wrote:moleman, did you get back to working with "Fullscreen=true"?
I'm still trying to work out what exactly client.cfg is! :oops:

If you can steer me in the right direction i'll make the change you suggest, be gentle... moleman = technoob ;)

Its my office PC so i'll let you know how i get on in the morning.

moleman

milo

Post by milo » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:24 pm

i like the window option but my resolution is so good that it makes everything tiny on my screen. :roll:

gothicorpunk

Post by gothicorpunk » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:30 pm

i cant see the chat -.-

CaffeinatedCoder
Site Admin

Post by CaffeinatedCoder » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:30 pm

sorry it took me so long moleman.

client.cfg is a file in your StarportGE directory. So if you installed to C:\Program Files\StarportGE... that is where it is.

So... I suppose the easiest way to do it would be to open up notepad:
Click Start->Run, type in notepad and hit enter. Or Start->Programs->Accessories->Notepad
Then go to File->Open (inside notepad)
Inside the Open dialog box type:
"C:\Program Files\StarportGE\client.cfg"
You might not need the quotes...

Then you should see what I refered to in my previous post :P.

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:43 pm

hehe i have a vista laptop that's oddly very zoomed out, i can see the whole screen fine, only problem is that when i go to make the screen longer or taller, the window expands, the game does not, and when i try making it smaller, parts of the sge sceen get cut off, still, i just move the screen up to the top and only show the chat if im busy doin somthin else and wanna still chat. no idea why its zoomed out, at one point sge had glitched it and zoomed it in to the regular zoom of most computers, but after a bot of fooling with administrative rights it popped back out 0.o, any way i like it this way, i can run several of my fave games at once and the forums now :D

OceanJeff35

Post by OceanJeff35 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:48 pm

I think this is by far the best revision yet...I didn't realize that I was missing so many graphics on my vista laptop...I can now see ALL the graphics, whereas before my ship and the lower half of the screen was missing ships, including my own, and flak and laser cannons, and mines, etc....! I just assumed it was normal, because it showed the top half of my ship and not the bottom half...sorry i should have said something...

I use 1280x800 (always have) and it works great! I've moved my task bar to the right of the screen, so that I can access the entire view of the game.

One thing that I don't like is not being able to size the window, and it freezes the graphics when in the background...I would like to be able to shrink it (I know I said earlier that I wouldn't, but now I would), and I would love for the graphics to continue in the background when something else is in focus.

Also, the frame rate is half what it used to be, but I think the overall improvement in graphics for me, far outweighs this minor loss.

Great Job, keep it up!

Later,

Jeff

:lol: :lol: 8) :o

CaffeinatedCoder
Site Admin

Post by CaffeinatedCoder » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:29 pm

Shrinking/growing the window is really hard to do. It would take months and its way way down on the to-do list. I'm not saying its a bad idea, just saying that its a long long way off.

toast

Post by toast » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:11 am

CaffeinatedCoder wrote:Shrinking/growing the window is really hard to do. It would take months and its way way down on the to-do list. I'm not saying its a bad idea, just saying that its a long long way off.
I would really really like that feature. but id rather have other stuff first i guess.