1 vs 1 guide for everyone!

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

awmalzo

1 vs 1 guide for everyone!

Post by awmalzo » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:57 pm

It’s a shame there is no detailed 1 vs. 1 newbie guide (with the new nukes; p), so here is 1 ;0.Ill try to be as accurate as possible but don’t aspect it to be 100% true ;p. First of all this guide will only be about agreed 1 vs 1 and not going to include war fights etc ;p.

What’s a 1 vs. 1?

A 1 vs. 1 is when 2 persons decide to fight in a particular system, alone, on agreed rules. Typically the rules are:

a) Nobody warps out of the system.
b) Nobody resheilds
c) Nobody renukes

In other words, nobody has to gain an unfair advantage on the other fighter. Although its something dishonorable to brake 1 vs. 1 rules, and you will end up having a bad reputation as a fighter, its not something illegal to do, and sometimes its funny ;p.

>> Dexterity

Definition: Increases the combat prowess of the ship you fly by increasing turning speed, energy regeneration rate, and thrusting power.

Most often called dex in short, the more you have, the greater is the chance of winning a 1 vs.1. However, it’s safe to say that having 10 dex is sometimes enough, though you’re at a big disadvantage compared to other people who have higher dex .I don’t recommend dex of 9 or less in 1 vs. 1 unless you know what your doing ;p. The maximum dex a pilot can have is 16 dex, which do wonders for 1 vs. 1, though it doesn’t mean you’re invincible. Dexterity can be increased by the intergalactic spacesuit artifact (+ 2 for every artifact-for more information read starpedia in the game).

>> Hardware

Well the most common hardware used in 1 vs. 1 is the nuke (and I recommend nukes). Sometimes people prefer lasers which are still good but you need to know what your doing if you going to use lasers .Negs are rarely used (not recommended) and rofl if you dare to use mines.

NUKES

These are the key of winning a 1 vs. 1.If you manage to hit your opponent you will do from 500 to 1800 shield damage (sometimes more but unlikely).Even if the nukes don’t hit the ship, but they manage to explode close to ship they will do what is called splash damage which can be from 0 to 1000 shield damage (estimate). Nukes absorbves ship moving direction if the ship is moving and they will come out with that direction orientation so be careful. If you know how to use nukes well, winning 1 vs 1 will not be that hard.

LASERS

It seems some people which aren’t that good in nukes, prefer using laser tactics, and if they good at them, they can surprise you. Much worser, lasers themselves can do damage to you, and they can pick up the laser after you hit the laser with a nuke, and if the laser is picked up, it automatically heals itself ;p.

>>Ships

Most used ship

Intergalactic ship: Best ship of the game which regards to 1 vs 1, this baby can kill imperial starcruiser very quickly if you know how to use it well. However don’t overestimate the use of this ship. Skilled players with other ships can still kill you if your not experienced enough. Its main weapon is very good and it will make it difficult for opponents to dodge it.(see starpedia)

Imperial starcruisers: Most commonly used ship for 1 vs 1, it’s a very good ship and I recommend it. Its special weapon the photon is very good (they can do up too 500 damage, but usually 100-400) ;p (see starpedia)

Sethar cruiser: The pirate ship ;p , if you got red rep heh you have to do it with this ship. The special weapon can mobilize ship for about 8-10 seconds, but you have to get a good primary weapon which can go long rage, most commonly use is the fusion ;p ( see starpedia)

>>Using the Imperial Starcruiser.

Since most fights are done with this ship, going to focus on the main tactics and tricks which help you out during a fight. However first 1 need to understand the various nuke tactics around, which I can divide in roughly 5 groups.

1) The Random nuke firing

This is more like giving up or not knowing what you doing, you just fire nukes and pray they will hit your enemy, which 99% of the times don’t hit. If you get into this situation means prepare to die or try to run away ;p. People usually go for this if they have very low shields or about to die, or when they are paniced. That’s why it is recommended to try to panic your other fighter because they will start loosing concentration and hopefully finish to waste their nukes ;p (not recommended but I see many fighters finishing doing this ;p)

2) The Run after someone tactic
The main idea is to run after someone, and keep running after him until you close enough then fire nuke or 2 or 3.(60% chance of hitting-chance increase with the amount of dex difference between the 2 pilots and if your near to the edge of the galaxy). (Most fighters use this tactic which gets good with a lot of practice).

3) The ;0 tactic

My preferred tactic; if done well you has an 80% chance of hitting someone. Mostly consists of attracting for someone to come towards you, then when he rush towards you stop still or almost (very important), turn your ship facing the enemy ship running towards you and then just fire nuke and watch go slowly towards the enemy ship ;p. Sometimes if the enemy has 3 suits or he still far away from you he can still manage to outrun the nuke or just get splash damage.

4) The star tactic

The main trick is to somehow make the other pilot get close to the star, when he gets to touch the star of the system; you just fire a nuke and hope that he doesn’t outrun the nuke thanks to the star gravity. This sometimes works good with big stars but it’s not recommended when star is small. Usually the chance of hitting depends how close you are and what dex your opponent has. Chance of hitting is between 30%-60%.

5) The galaxy edge tactic

This works if the enemy pilot is in the edge (or almost) of the galaxy (and preferable not moving), with you being in such a way that the enemy pilot, you and the centre of star form a straight line. Then you just move towards the enemy pilot and fire nuke towards him and most probably he will not have enough time to outrun the nuke before it hits him (50% chance of hitting-depends how far you are and if the enemy pilot is moving or not)

They are more nuke tactic but these are the main ones. ;p

Now here comes the fun part;

1) How to make a pilot to start using the random nuking way?

Well you must first manage to panic the other fighter, which is best done by trying to lower your other fighters shields as low as possible ;p, though its something very hard and only very good fighters can do this so don’t dream ;p

2) How to use the run after someone tactic?
First of all, this tactic works wonders if you manage to trap your other pilot close or almost at zero energy. It works better as well if you can fire photons in such a way you force the other pilot to go on the outer ring. Then you fire a nuke and the other pilot goes in a run trying to outrun your nuke. That will be your chance….. follow him and fire 1 or 2 more nukes( I don’t suggest you fire more).Before you fire them, make sure he is moving in a big circle fashion, and make sure your moving behind him (and relatively close) in a small circle, more closer to star. You can just wait for the other pilot to fire some photons first then strike, so his energy will be low so he can’t counter fire nukes back to you.

3) How to avoid the run after someone tactic?

Well, the best thing is to avoid going around the edge of the galaxy and try to stay more in the middle areas of the system. Another thing, especially if you still loose energy when you thrust, be careful not to get caught on low energy, because if you get to 0 energy all enemy nukes will hit you. If you get to zero energy, then the only thing you can do is pressing the thrust button a lot a hope that nukes don’t manage to reach you, but good luck at that. Sometimes you can fool other fighters by turning direction, but other experienced fighters will just turn with you and keep nuking you. If you have 3 suits, I suggest you travel around in a spiral way getting closer to the star, which will make it much easier to dodge the nukes. In fact, the closer you are to the star the much easier is to dodge nukes (but don’t touch star).Or if I pilot starts running after you, turn around and slow the ship a little and just nuke him, it would be a 100% hit .Sometimes both pilots will end up nuking each other so damage is equalized.

4) The ;0 tactic (lol sorry for stupid name)- avoiding and using it.

This tactic is awesome, because even if you have low dex, you can still hit your enemy pilot. I already explained how to use it so I will focus how to avoid it. You can try by following the other pilot by making think you coming towards him then suddenly change direction and fly away and he may have already fired a nuke so he miss it. This can also be avoided by stopping running after someone, and by staying away and going for long range tactics.

If your using this tactic, you may fool a pilot 1 or 2 then he will not fall into your trap again (depends the iq level of the pilot lol), however you can still attract him to fall into the same trap for 4 to 6 times (yes you can hit him with all nukes if you know how to use this tactic well).Some experienced fighters are aware of this so the best choice is to attract them by forcing them to come towards you by using a typical photon tactic, mostly mid range (ill explain later). In other words, try to get people to come towards you for some reason or another, then just simple fire a nuke.

5) How to avoid star tactic and the galaxy edge tactic?

Lol just avoid going next to star or going (or worse stopping) at the galaxy edge.

Tips: a) some people may fool you by nuking you when you’re typing, be careful. B) Sometimes, especially if you use maxed out game radar, people can just run and fire a nuke and you will not notice before its too late so best thing is to zoom 1 in the radar.
c) Avoid playing in systems with cols, some fighters will just hide between cols and the game will be so boring…

Well here are some photon tactics, which they can be divided in 3 ranges, short range, medium range and short range.

Short range: not recommended. This photon tactic is when a pilot has to get almost or very close to the enemy pilot to fire photons. This will make him vulnerable and very easy to nukes attacks and the other pilot has an equal chance of hitting him if not more.

Medium range: Most fighters go for medium ranges, and it’s the best way I think. There are no tricks in this, but just practicing to get better. I know some ways but not going to bother them to type them :p.

Long range: If your enemy is using long range photons, then prepare to fight for over 1 hour if your enemy is experienced and good at photons. Another problem is that it may be difficult to aim nukes on him if he is a good fighter and has 3 suits (example: knives goes on long range photon tactics). Your best choice is to try and trap him by using the galaxy edge nuke tactic, which in this case it works wonders. Rather then that is more practice.

The laser tactics.

How to use and different ways:

Laser in space = 3 photons and little bit of grav to explode (to kill)
1 nuke and 1 touch of grav and puff

If the fighter has lasers, you don’t have 1 enemy, but 9.Don’t underestimate lasers. They can do more damage to you then the fighter its self. So here some tips

a) If you fire a nuke, start running after the nuke so that when the other guy deploys the laser you arrive in time and touch grav him so that you kill laser before he can manage to pick it up.

b) Try to push other fighter next to warp tunnels so he can’t deploy lasers so your nukes can hit him, but be careful.

c) If you’re using lasers, be careful to drop lasers before nukes can reach you, because it takes some time for nuke to go on laser instead of following you.

d) Don’t use lasers if you don’t know how to use photons well ;/

e) Keep in mind that lasers heal up to full hit points if pilot re picks them

The radar (the small bottom right one)

The radar is the key of winning a 1 vs. 1.You need to learn how to use it well and aim well on it. Personally I prefer radars which are zoomed only 1 in so I have a better picture of the battle field and still can aim photons well.

Be careful: some players have lag, so the radar itself has lag. Sometimes you think you hit your enemies but in reality you’re only hitting the lagging image. Check your enemy ping and latency, and if the fighter has latency with 300 or more, try aiming a little (very little) ahead of the image you see so that you remove the lag effect. It’s for this reason, some persons don’t get hit, and for this reason some people think you’re emped (as shown in the radar) but in reality it doesn’t hit them. This can be used to fool sethdars in thinking that their enemy is emped so they fire nuke, just to run it away easily. I like using this tactic but usually emp hits me.You will notice you hit someone if the radar show sparkles for a few seconds, and you know someone about to die if he sparkles continuously.

This is quick guide and I didn’t went in so deep details, but it gives a small idea of what happens in a 1 vs. 1 ;p
Last edited by awmalzo on Fri May 02, 2008 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Post by CrazyChef » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:11 pm

nicely done!

milo

Post by milo » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:19 pm

It seems some people which aren’t that good in nukes, prefer using laser tactics, and if they good at them, they can surprise you. Much worser, lasers themselves can do damage to you, and they can pick up the laser after you hit the laser with a nuke, and if the laser is picked up, it automatically heals itself ;p.
i don't believe this is so. from my experience the laser's hp regenerates slowly even when picked up and replaced. but i could be wrong.

-Crypto-

Post by -Crypto- » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:49 pm

milo wrote:
i don't believe this is so. from my experience the laser's hp regenerates slowly even when picked up and replaced. but i could be wrong.
They do...

Knives.
Location: If I tell you, your parents might file for a divorce.

Post by Knives. » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:06 pm

Nice guide Awmalzo. I thought about writing one a while ago, but laziness got the best of me :P

There's one more nuke tactic that can be used, and it's the one i normally use. It can only be done by using fusions though:

Basically, you fire three fusion shots towards your opponent. Make sure that he doesn't actually get to see the fusions on his screen, just on his radar. The opponent will mistake them for photons in most cases, and run towards you to fire his own set of photons(since he/she thinks that you're out of energy). That's when you fire your nuke.

This might sound confusing, and it does take some practice to do correctly. It's surprisingly effective though.

once

Post by once » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:59 pm

could you waste more of your time?

1v1 Guide.

Kill the other guy.
Don't port.
Don't run.
Don't call for help.

There done and done.

Luna

Post by Luna » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:39 pm

Glad "once" isn't showing anyone how to 1v1.

Good instructions for those that aren't proficient in 1v1.

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Post by CrazyChef » Fri May 02, 2008 8:17 am

nice addition knives and ty anti for the start on this new 1v1 page

omlow

Post by omlow » Fri May 02, 2008 8:35 am

It seems this guide is too too too too too too long for any newbie. everyone knows that newbies can't read, why else do they spaek liek tihs?
QFT.

awmalzo

Post by awmalzo » Fri May 02, 2008 9:51 am

omlow wrote:
It seems this guide is too too too too too too long for any newbie. everyone knows that newbies can't read, why else do they spaek liek tihs?
QFT.
changed title >.< , and if your trying to make fun of my chat i don't care ... :!:

rojo

Post by rojo » Sat May 03, 2008 8:00 am

Knives. wrote:Nice guide Awmalzo. I thought about writing one a while ago, but laziness got the best of me :P

There's one more nuke tactic that can be used, and it's the one i normally use. It can only be done by using fusions though:

Basically, you fire three fusion shots towards your opponent. Make sure that he doesn't actually get to see the fusions on his screen, just on his radar. The opponent will mistake them for photons in most cases, and run towards you to fire his own set of photons(since he/she thinks that you're out of energy). That's when you fire your nuke.

This might sound confusing, and it does take some practice to do correctly. It's surprisingly effective though.
Yea you ended my 3 month undefeated streak with that dang tactic...fusions killed the planet shield strategy :-(

Good to see ya back Knives, best 1 v 1'er I've ever fought.

Knives.

Post by Knives. » Sat May 03, 2008 5:54 pm

rojo wrote:
Knives. wrote:Nice guide Awmalzo. I thought about writing one a while ago, but laziness got the best of me :P

Yea you ended my 3 month undefeated streak with that dang tactic...fusions killed the planet shield strategy :-(

Good to see ya back Knives, best 1 v 1'er I've ever fought.
lol...wow, I haven't seen you in a while dude. Good to see some of the old vets are still here :P

heh, I remember your tactic. Protons/Grav just weren't going to work with your strategy. :wink: If it wasn't for the fusions, I know I'd have had a lot of trouble with that fight. :D

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Sun May 04, 2008 5:11 am

wow, this definatly wins award for highest usage of ';p'

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Thu May 29, 2008 5:08 pm

A very nice guide mate with some verrry nice tactics in there.. Good Job!! :D :D :D

milo

Post by milo » Thu May 29, 2008 10:17 pm

btw i do like the guide. very accurate and concise

KarateKid

Post by KarateKid » Sat May 31, 2008 12:46 am

All this talk about 1v1 hypes me up to fight. Who's hosting the next 1v1 for the defending champion?

anito1

Post by anito1 » Sat May 31, 2008 3:53 am

contact anito at GA server or USH at P5 server... 1on1

BlackNova

Post by BlackNova » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:01 pm

Good to see ya back Knives, best 1 v 1'er I've ever fought apart from Blacknova.
XD

awmalzo

Post by awmalzo » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:22 pm

once wrote:could you waste more of your time?

1v1 Guide.

Kill the other guy.
Don't port.
Don't run.
Don't call for help.

There done and done.
sure DIRT ....rather the annoying me on forums why don't you come to 1 vs 1 me ? You will have the opportunity to see the tactics I wrote in real action before I kill you ;)

fallenvictory

Post by fallenvictory » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:36 pm

1v1s are overrated...but fun :)

awmalzo

Post by awmalzo » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:40 pm

fallenvictory wrote:1v1s are overrated...but fun :)
no they aren't :) , unless your not fighting people thinking they are gods in ig ships :)

Evolution

Post by Evolution » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:59 pm

nice guide awm :D

O.o dont 1v1 anito, he'll laser the system and call 9 of his friends so he have some chances to pod u

Samir-Duran

Post by Samir-Duran » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:00 pm

"EMP and nuke"

Jtak

Post by Jtak » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:38 am

ive done well with getting better at lazer tactics still a bit buggy with it tho XD i read 90% of this and got a 26 - 7 record on P1

Zavrith

Post by Zavrith » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:43 am

8 laser strategy would pwn like mad but it's always been bugged in a number of ways, which are a huge pain while in such a close contest.

You have a lot of focus on nukes awmalzo when really the most critical thing in a duel is typically the use of the secondary weapon of your ship. Unfortunately, there is no way to really made a guide for "point and fire, hit as often as you can"

Out of curiosity, how is it dueling with the 16 nukes of a CEO ship nowadays?

Knives.

Post by Knives. » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:14 pm

Zavrith wrote:8 laser strategy would pwn like mad but it's always been bugged in a number of ways, which are a huge pain while in such a close contest.

You have a lot of focus on nukes awmalzo when really the most critical thing in a duel is typically the use of the secondary weapon of your ship. Unfortunately, there is no way to really made a guide for "point and fire, hit as often as you can"

Dueling with 16 nukes is pretty much useless lol. I've fought a couple of CEO ships with 16 nukes- dodging 12 out of the 16 nukes requires mediocre skill. What does actually work(even for someone who has no practice using lasers such as myself) is a CEO with 16 lasers and 3 Suits. You got a ton of practice using lasers though, so I'm pretty sure you'd make that combo work even better than I could. :P

Nice to see you're back Zav. Are you just visiting or are you actually coming back to the game? If you're coming back for good, I demand a 1 vs 1! NOW! :P

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:12 pm

Knives. wrote:
Zavrith wrote:8 laser strategy would pwn like mad but it's always been bugged in a number of ways, which are a huge pain while in such a close contest.

Dueling with 16 nukes is pretty much useless lol. I've fought a couple of CEO ships with 16 nukes- dodging 12 out of the 16 nukes requires mediocre skill. What does actually work(even for someone who has no practice using lasers such as myself) is a CEO with 16 lasers and 3 Suits. You got a ton of practice using lasers though, so I'm pretty sure you'd make that combo work even better than I could. :P

Nice to see you're back Zav. Are you just visiting or are you actually coming back to the game? If you're coming back for good, I demand a 1 vs 1! NOW! :P
pfft, you got pwnt and you know it :wink:
besides, i hit more than 4

Kasonia-

Post by Kasonia- » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:53 am

Would love to 1v1 you