Bring BACK the Double Domers!

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Should double Domers be re-implimented?

Yes
37%
Maybe, but the concept needs some tweaking.
37%
No
26%

Total votes: 27

Talak.Winstar
Location: In Space, contemplating how exactly to negate the crappy events of OMD and BND story arcs.

Bring BACK the Double Domers!

Post by Talak.Winstar » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:28 pm

Double domers are a legacy of starport, and they should not be wasted.

To keep them special, there should be a 30% chance that each colony you make will be able to sport a secondary dome.

In-game these DD worlds would be known as a relic paradise. :)

The restoration of the Double domes would add a new element to the game, plus it may even attract old players. :)

Jiachi
Location: Earth, vandalizing tunnels to keep the colonial flow going *shh, don't tell*

Post by Jiachi » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:14 pm

DDs are, so to say, a lingering side-effect from a bug when implementing disasters before pollution was cleanable. They accrued over a length of time too long for a rollback, or Toonces may have been too busy trying to axe the glitch to notice them sooner. Basically, I don't think they're likely to become legitimized anytime soon, nice as the idea might be. :mrgreen:

Talak.Winstar
Location: In Space, contemplating how exactly to negate the crappy events of OMD and BND story arcs.

Post by Talak.Winstar » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:35 pm

In my documentary thread, toonces said he would definately not remove them. The real problem is that assholes are deliberately trying to wipe out the last great heretege of this game. I am simply seeking to protect that.

duece

Post by duece » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:16 pm

no, the problem is nobody has the time to watch over them since the research patch. if one corp has them all, a bunch will die. And if a bunch of corps have them, some undedicated people will let them die. There isn't really a way to stop it.

Luna

Post by Luna » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:36 pm

I sent this note to Toonces after seeing Starwynd's post , but haven't gotten a response. I'd love to see a way to preserve the remaining DD.

Luna wrote:Toonces

There seems to be an overwhelming desire to keep Double domes alive. The Community really wants to hold onto the relics of the past. Since it's probably not possible to recreate Double domes, is there anything you can code for them to keep them from dying?

Suggestions:

* Minimum population in them so they can't die from lack of colonists. Make them keep no less than 25 colonists in them as a standard base?

* Zero pollution? No disasters to kill them.

Make them able to be invaded so they CAN trade hands but just prevent them from being able to be destroyed by neglect or angry players.

I think they represent a place in SGE history like a landmark that needs to be preserved as a milestone of playing enjoyment. I think it gives the Vets something to hang onto and the Newbies something to strive to obtain.

That or just bring back the glitch and let us "accidentally make some NEW history. That would stir things up quite a bit! A random ability to make your colony a DD. It would be like hitting the lottery. An artifact perhaps, or just randomized domes that give the ability. Just an idea.
:wink:

Micool

Post by Micool » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:05 pm

Low chance of the ability to build a double domer on a planet: love it.
Too high chance of colonies becoming double domer: every planet will become dd and invasion will become impossible on permas. Isn't one solar on most cols enough?

Talak.Winstar

Post by Talak.Winstar » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:07 pm

Micool wrote:Low chance of the ability to build a double domer on a planet: love it.
Too high chance of colonies becoming double domer: every planet will become dd and invasion will become impossible on permas. Isn't one solar on most cols enough?
I gave 30% cause it seemed reasonable for making a DD, are you saying we should drop it to 20%?

Micool

Post by Micool » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:14 pm

I'm saying that if its 30% then thats 1 in every 3.5 cols being double dome. That would have two problems:
1. Devalue double domes: they would no longer be nearly as special.
2. Some people might keep letting non-doubles die off purposefully to make them dd's, and eventually all cols will be dd, so invasion will be even harder, with two solars on every planet. Then the non-double planet will be the special one, the piece of history...

Also, when you say reimplement double domes, do you mean reimplement them as they used to be (with one "Fake" dome that throws you back into space), have both domes take you to the same colony, or have both domes being different colonies? If its the third option, what would happen if someone caps one colony but not the other?

Talak.Winstar

Post by Talak.Winstar » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:16 pm

Its the first one, and the planet ITSELF has to exhibit the ability to sport two double domers. Not the colony, sorry if I had worded it as such.

Micool

Post by Micool » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:19 pm

I guess that solves the problem of every colony being dd, but still, 1 in 3 planets being double dome is quite a lot. it should be much less, like 10%, 5%, or even 1% chance, only have like 10 dd's per galaxy.

Talak.Winstar

Post by Talak.Winstar » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:21 pm

I'd rather there be at least 140 DD's per galaxy, that way EVERYONE has a chance of getting and owning one, rather than all of them being owned by one person.

Micool

Post by Micool » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:24 pm

But that devalues them. It's like gold - if there was infinite gold in the world, gold rings would be worth $1. Same with double domes - there should NOT be enough to go around, so its special to have a dd and people will fight over DD planets.

Talak.Winstar

Post by Talak.Winstar » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:26 pm

Perma 1 had well over 200 double domers. No one complained then.

For 5k planets in an entire galaxy, 150 dd's is reasonable.

Micool

Post by Micool » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:29 pm

Put that way, it sounds more reasonable, but there should be a shortage of DD's so there are wars over them.

Talak.Winstar

Post by Talak.Winstar » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:30 pm

150/5000 planets not good enough for you? :x

Micool

Post by Micool » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:37 pm

no its not, because then, as you said, theres enough for 1 for every corp so they wont be THAT desired. if u have only 10, or even only 50, then u have 5-30 corps with at least 1 dd and all the other corps wanting one so have wars over dd's.

Talak.Winstar

Post by Talak.Winstar » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:39 pm

150 is good enough. IF you dont like the number tough. I am not nerfing it any further.

CaptKirk

Post by CaptKirk » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:53 am

I don't know that DD's should be somehow implemented, doing so eliminates them as a legacy item and turns them into something else to shoot for. I would like to see added protections put into place that prevents them from dying off from simple neglect or because their owners set the solar to max and let the planet burn itself out.

Jiachi
Location: Earth, vandalizing tunnels to keep the colonial flow going *shh, don't tell*

Post by Jiachi » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:58 am

Remove DD pollution like Luna suggested, or somehow find a way to reenact the glitch that made them, without creating more. As to legitimate implementation, your first question should be 'how'; bringing one dome out and magically getting 2 from 1 kit is a bit far-fetched. What will we be doing to get this 1-5% chance, besides spamming attempts to drop another dome?

Detach emotionally and get the gears of logic moving, or risk irreversibly irradiating this idea with chemical warfare. Always consider time as a factor, as even Toonces random research hasn't evaded 'cookie-cutter' setups. Heck, maybe the original DDs can be made unkillable, while new ones can be gathered and burned. Then you can really tell the originals from new ones, not to mention fixing the 'endless gold' problem. Lets not forget, some scorched-earth practitioner can purge these 'gems' anytime with a little effort. :mrgreen:

DionysuZ

Post by DionysuZ » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:16 am

Make it a very rare research discovery. that is, a chance of 1/1000 or less that a planet will get the double dome research. It would take 1 research slot and would allow for the owner to plant an extra dome.

Mayb add the possibility to get to level 5 double dome research ;). 5 extra domes :P

duece

Post by duece » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:17 am

How about if and only if, a planet dies with 10 discoveries, all buildings, and a population of above 20,000. It has a 1 in 5 shot of a dome surviving. And if a DD dies under the same condition it has a 1 in 10 chance of becoming a triple domer. Triple domers need a 50-100% increase in pollution, and should die at the first disaster. Also, if the planet has multiple domes, maybe it should be capped to no more than a 5 shot solar.

This ensures that they'll be rare, and a lot of work to create. And should be harder to sustain. That way, anything can be made into one, but it wont become over abundant.

Major.Arse

Post by Major.Arse » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:46 am

Talak.Winstar wrote:In my documentary thread, toonces said he would definately not remove them. The real problem is that assholes are deliberately trying to wipe out the last great heretege of this game. I am simply seeking to protect that.
Then try to stop the player from doing it IN-GAME.

It aint that hard. a seth and a ten shot DD can be quite effective ya nub

Talak.Winstar

Post by Talak.Winstar » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:29 pm

Major.Arse wrote:
Talak.Winstar wrote:In my documentary thread, toonces said he would definately not remove them. The real problem is that assholes are deliberately trying to wipe out the last great heretege of this game. I am simply seeking to protect that.

I quit the game because someone hacked my computer through my allowing starport, and permanently damaged several valuable programs. The next time I come back to this game, my comp might stop working all-together. I value HAVING a computer to use.

IF it means losing all the DD's then fine.

All my lobbying is just for a patch to be implemented to keep them, and their memory alive. Despite some unscrupulous donkey hats' attempts to wipe them out completely.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:36 pm

Talak.Winstar wrote:
Major.Arse wrote:

I quit the game because someone hacked my computer through my allowing starport, and permanently damaged several valuable programs. The next time I come back to this game, my comp might stop working all-together. I value HAVING a computer to use.
Don't blame your inability to think and maintain your computer on SGE. These computer doomsday scenarios of your border the insane and are nothing less than paranoid. How many computer science teachers have you driven to suicide so far? Frankly, if I had been in their position I would have cracked your skull open with a hard drive.

It's amazing how you can have the audacity to say that you, one of the most irrelevant players ever, have been hacked while thousands of people have preceded you who have never, ever reported a real case of hacking.

You're not that special. Stupid, yes. Insane, yes.

Special, no. Sadly enough.

Frankly, I feel sorry for your computer.

In a decade computers might become conscious and then you'll probably be barred from using a computer for the rest of your life. That will be a fine day.

Talak.Winstar

Post by Talak.Winstar » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:52 am

MadAce wrote:
Talak.Winstar wrote:
Major.Arse wrote: Then try to stop the player from doing it IN-GAME.

Don't blame your inability to think and maintain your computer on SGE. These computer doomsday scenarios of your border the insane and are nothing less than paranoid. How many computer science teachers have you driven to suicide so far? Frankly, if I had been in their position I would have cracked your skull open with a hard drive.

It's amazing how you can have the audacity to say that you, one of the most irrelevant players ever, have been hacked while thousands of people have preceded you who have never, ever reported a real case of hacking.

I am "special", and no I didnt drive any Comp. science teachers to suicide cause I never took a comp science course. And yes, I DO maintain my computer. Obsessively rather.

As for the case, no one's REPORTED them on the forums cause the admins dont seem to care. I know of at least two people who said their firewalls blocked suspicious activity during rather coincidental events. Frontline to name one. I got avast! now, which is doing a hell of a lot better, but I still havent found a legitimate, and reliable firewall to justify my complete and absolute overthrow of my current crapware firewall.

In a decade computers might become conscious and then you'll probably be barred from using a computer for the rest of your life. That will be a fine day.

Talak.Winstar

Post by Talak.Winstar » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:55 am

MadAce wrote:
Talak.Winstar wrote:
Major.Arse wrote: Then try to stop the player from doing it IN-GAME.

I am "special", and no I didnt drive any Comp. science teachers to suicide cause I never took a comp science course. And yes, I DO maintain my computer. Obsessively rather.

As for the case, no one's REPORTED them on the forums cause the admins dont seem to care. I know of at least two people who said their firewalls blocked suspicious activity during rather coincidental events. Frontline to name one. I got avast! now, which is doing a hell of a lot better, but I still havent found a legitimate, and reliable firewall to justify my complete and absolute overthrow of my current crapware firewall.

For the most part, I know I haven't downloaded any infected files, nor have I ever gone to shady sites. I am also cognizant that toonces' software in its self is not contaminated, rather its some malicious chia pet doing this BBQ. Madace, no one else has really reported my such case, because none of them were anywhere NEAR as detested as I am/was. Left the game after someone started triggering sporadic resets every minute, figured I'd be the first target if that same person got a hold of the ban powers. IMHO, Toonces should get Avast! server security or something.

DionysuZ

Post by DionysuZ » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:09 am

how do you know someone 'triggered' the server rollbacks on BR (which you are referring to)? And not a software/hardware issue or maintenance on the server? It happens you know. Server rollbacks happen on occassion, sometimes a couple of time in a row.. doesn't mean someone has to trigger it. So how do you know? Or is it just some paranoid idea?

duece

Post by duece » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:31 am

No no it was triggered, I'm with Talak on this one. You see, first I blocked all outbound connections with my firewall, then i deleted all my bit torrent clients. But then my computer started lagging because all the spyware i got EXACTLY 2 and a half days from the most recent patch, so it HAD to be starport. Then to top it off, I had my account hacked, even though they never logged on or did anything with it. But they did mess with some of my programs. So OBVIOUSLY toonces doesn't have any kind of security on his virus infested servers, and EVERY incident is directed at me. So :( sad to say, I'm gonna quit the game and spend all my time on the forums warning people to avoid the same fate. And to top it all off, my third computer science teacher committed suicide. :( I may never learn Java.

Talak.Winstar

Post by Talak.Winstar » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:43 pm

DionysuZ wrote:how do you know someone 'triggered' the server rollbacks on BR (which you are referring to)? And not a software/hardware issue or maintenance on the server? It happens you know. Server rollbacks happen on occassion, sometimes a couple of time in a row.. doesn't mean someone has to trigger it. So how do you know? Or is it just some paranoid idea?
Because 1) The admins don't spam resets. 2) Someone was gloating about having the resets occur until they got their planets back. 3) That same person was accurately predicting when each and every reset hit. Obviously suspicious.
robotchicken wrote:No no it was triggered, I'm with Talak on this one. You see, first I blocked all outbound connections with my firewall, then i deleted all my bit torrent clients. But then my computer started lagging because all the spyware i got EXACTLY 2 and a half days from the most recent patch, so it HAD to be starport. Then to top it off, I had my account hacked, even though they never logged on or did anything with it. But they did mess with some of my programs. So OBVIOUSLY toonces doesn't have any kind of security on his virus infested servers, and EVERY incident is directed at me. So :( sad to say, I'm gonna quit the game and spend all my time on the forums warning people to avoid the same fate. And to top it all off, my third computer science teacher committed suicide. :( I may never learn Java.
If you're not being sarcastic robo, thanks. :)

Sorry for the double post above, for some reason the text I typed wouldnt show. Though I am pretty sure I hit edit rather than post.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:59 pm

If you (Talak.fucklng.Winstar ) had any, and I mean ANY knowledge of computers you would hide in a cave for the rest of your life out of shame for the utter stupidity of your claims. Seriously.

Talak. You keep saying you're not stupid. Please, for your own good, start assuming that you ARE stupid. Because you ARE. Truly. Stupid.

@robotchicken: :lol: (if you weren't sarcastic I'm more stupid than I thought)