Getting Picked on by someone really good

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

NoObie

Post by NoObie » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:01 am

Honnestly, anyone who knows the controls in this game can outrun 99% of vets without many problems. But, I guess that's jsut my opinion.

Even if you're SO horrible at running and have horrible hand and eye coordination, you can still outrun literally 99% of vets by carrying around 4-8 lasers on you.

You see someone chasing you, start dropping lasers on your way to a warp point. Any nukes they fire will most likely lock on the lasers...and in many cases, splash damage them as they chase you.

I've outran isc/seths with 8 nukes countless times in battleships....and many times in even merchant ships with this method. Used to work much better with the old nukes, since you can literally avod 8 nukes with it...but it still works pretty well with these nukes.

But serisouly, jsut plain running can get you away from 99% of vets most of the time.

Deathreape98

Post by Deathreape98 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:50 am

merfs=great for runnign from nukes....just PD the nukes....but if they have a grav beam....well.....ur hugged :P

DarkLStrike

Post by DarkLStrike » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:32 am

NoObie wrote:Honnestly, anyone who knows the controls in this game can outrun 99% of vets without many problems. But, I guess that's jsut my opinion.

But serisouly, jsut plain running can get you away from 99% of vets most of the time.
ABSOLUTELY TRUE! However, only about 25% of the new players know how to run. Most of them just spin in circles in the system.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:12 am

noobie, I have caught many many people some pros and some noobs. It comes down to artifacts and the will to win. As for it being very hard to pk...well dont know what game your playing but I find it one of the easier aspects of the game.

NoObie

Post by NoObie » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:13 pm

McGrod wrote:noobie, I have caught many many people some pros and some noobs. It comes down to artifacts and the will to win. As for it being very hard to pk...well dont know what game your playing but I find it one of the easier aspects of the game.
Nope, you're assuming arranged 1 vs 1 fights, in which case what i said really doesn't apply. It's not very hard to PK ppl if they're actually willing to fight you.

But as for trying to PK someone who's basically trying to run away and reach a port, then yes PKing becomes very difficult.

rojo

Post by rojo » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:46 pm

NoObie wrote:
McGrod wrote:noobie, I have caught many many people some pros and some noobs. It comes down to artifacts and the will to win. As for it being very hard to pk...well dont know what game your playing but I find it one of the easier aspects of the game.
Nope, you're assuming arranged 1 vs 1 fights, in which case what i said really doesn't apply. It's not very hard to PK ppl if they're actually willing to fight you.

But as for trying to PK someone who's basically trying to run away and reach a port, then yes PKing becomes very difficult.
Thats I love puppies. PK'ing is more difficult since they changed the nukes but not nearly as impossible as your making it sound. I'd say about 3/4 people are toast if someone wants to kill em and can get to their location. But again, thats assuming you don't suck at the game.

duece

Post by duece » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:16 am

3/4th? are you talking newbs? or what level of player, anybody with mediocre skill can probably escape from 1-4 people provided they don't renuke, or have him trapped in a one warp exit with no port...

DarkLStrike

Post by DarkLStrike » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:50 am

ships... ships... in rebangs not a lot of people have capital ships in the first few days.

rojo

Post by rojo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:59 am

robotchicken wrote:3/4th? are you talking newbs? or what level of player, anybody with mediocre skill can probably escape from 1-4 people provided they don't renuke, or have him trapped in a one warp exit with no port...
Come on Duece, you've played with me before, you know how I do things. I never run right in, if people are with me we spread out to guard warps, I wait until someone lands again or count their drop nuking to time it when their out of the system. Weren't you on P2 when we hid a bunch of people on a moon and had em log and wait for the word on vent to log in? That was 3 people dead, practically within 2 mins. I'm sick of arguing with people who dismiss whatever I say as impossible. You have your techniques, I have mine, mine work and its obviously pointless trying to explain those to all of who deem them 'impossible' or 'that'd never work on a vet' Its like talking to a brick wall.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:28 pm

I was also talking about chasing people.
I have been caught out a couple of times too by others Grawrg and another civil 2 member on 11th and Night and couple others when on Battle Royal.
I have caught people when chasing them alone (I dont go into group things very often unless its a war and a proper battle for a system ). I mentioned artis as they are very handy when needing the extra thrusts.

awmalzo

Post by awmalzo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:32 pm

they will most probably land on a planet..as I used to do when i was a noob (still am XD).I rememeber when i first started on 11th ace ran after me.I aldned on a greenhosue he got me down to 0 sheidls but got bored and he left(or gb guys stoped him) .i was like yey I survived....but got killed by an alien.that was my first death on 11th ;0

HangMan

Post by HangMan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:02 pm

AWMALZO:
they will most probably land on a planet..as I used to do when i was a noob (still am XD).I rememeber when i first started on 11th ace ran after me.I aldned on a greenhosue he got me down to 0 sheidls but got bored and he left(or gb guys stoped him) .i was like yey I survived....but got killed by an alien.that was my first death on 11th ;0

LMAO :lol:

McCrazy

Post by McCrazy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:37 pm

rojo wrote:
robotchicken wrote:3/4th? are you talking newbs? or what level of player, anybody with mediocre skill can probably escape from 1-4 people provided they don't renuke, or have him trapped in a one warp exit with no port...
Come on Duece, you've played with me before, you know how I do things. I never run right in, if people are with me we spread out to guard warps, I wait until someone lands again or count their drop nuking to time it when their out of the system. Weren't you on P2 when we hid a bunch of people on a moon and had em log and wait for the word on vent to log in? That was 3 people dead, practically within 2 mins. I'm sick of arguing with people who dismiss whatever I say as impossible. You have your techniques, I have mine, mine work and its obviously pointless trying to explain those to all of who deem them 'impossible' or 'that'd never work on a vet' Its like talking to a brick wall.
pretty much anyone whos played with me knows i run straight into a fight not knowing whats on the other side..and more often than not i won 8) lmfao XD fuckin righteous 8)

Nomad

Post by Nomad » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:02 am

here's my suggestion - deal with it - we were ALL new players at some time, and i'm sure were all picked on by someone at some point or another - if there's never any challenge, there's no incease in skill - if you don't learn how to run/kill as a new player because everything's made super easy for you, why are you going to gain any skills if you're never pushed into anything above and beyond your abilities - don't we learn (in every aspect of life) from those who are better and more experienced than ourselves....

now getting needlessly and excessivly picked on by someone (such as hunting around sol for the same person over and over) - that's a different story (it can be mean) but in many cases, the people who are picked on by better players are picked on because they run their mouths and talk trash about people and bring it on themselves - you wanna invade my cols (that i've busted my donkey to build/invade/maintain/protect) and then talk BBQ about me - i'm hunting you down and invading your cols - don't complain if someone takes their cols back [/] that you invaded from them...they aint picking on you, they're taking back what was theirs - same as they'd do to any seasoned player

if you've made enemies on a server by doing this - don't expect people to forget when you come back a month later with the same attitude...actions follow people around and some people are like elephants - they never forget...

you wanna step into the ring and pick a fight with someone - be prepared to defend yourself and deal with the consequences - can't deal with those consequences - don't start BBQ with people you're not ready/able/willing to handle

toast

Post by toast » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:13 am

Nomad speaks truth...If you dont want to be picked on, then shut your mouth and dont get noticed. Talk BBQ, and someone will come after you.

Crosseyed

Post by Crosseyed » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:52 am

Nomad wrote:if you've made enemies on a server by doing this - don't expect people to forget when you come back a month later with the same attitude...actions follow people around and some people are like elephants - they never forget...
Elephants are exemplary role models. Elephants never forget...and they never forgive, either.

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:39 am

Crosseyed wrote:
Nomad wrote:if you've made enemies on a server by doing this - don't expect people to forget when you come back a month later with the same attitude...actions follow people around and some people are like elephants - they never forget...
Elephants are exemplary role models. Elephants never forget...and they never forgive, either.
But i forget all the time... and as a result i forgive quite frequently :(

damn i must be a horrible person :cry:

Cfreak

Post by Cfreak » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:25 pm

Catfish is picking on me in A New Hope.. He tried to kill me when he was in an IGS and i was in a barge... I said go away i dont wanna fight, then he invaded my col (In same system), didnt take, so i went on and turned solar up to 10 but was losing about 500 metal per hour, he said when ur stockpile is gone an u r offline i will take :( all i did is not want to fight cos i was in a barge, it is my only colony and i have no nukes and no desire to fight either.

petertje

Post by petertje » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:55 pm

i'll tell catfish he has been a naughty boy.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:44 pm

McGrod enters no hopers galaxy once again, types into his amstrad alan sugar deluxe mainframe /who catfish

He then scratches his head and ponders if such a lowlife scumbag nooby moomin is worth the time, the mediocre effort and most importantly his last ration rolos.

D-Tox1
2011 Starport Champion

Post by D-Tox1 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:12 am

Cfreak wrote:Catfish is picking on me in A New Hope.. He tried to kill me when he was in an IGS and i was in a barge... I said go away i dont wanna fight, then he invaded my col (In same system), didnt take, so i went on and turned solar up to 10 but was losing about 500 metal per hour, he said when ur stockpile is gone an u r offline i will take :( all i did is not want to fight cos i was in a barge, it is my only colony and i have no nukes and no desire to fight either.
Lil buddy .. you built a colony - 1st rule of starport = what you build WILL get taken.. sooner or later.
Unfortunately to survive in Starport you need to be able to have some kinda combat skills - as well as just building .. even though you may not wanna fight - is inevitable you'll have to sooner or later.
You just wanna build .. Catfish just wants to fight an invade .. ( is a vicious circle) :?
You definately need to build your confidence up in 1 v 1 situation - sounds to me like your kinda vulnerable - is not a good thing to let other guys see...
Fight fire with fire next time .. ok you may lose - but you never learn if you never make mistakes :wink:

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:11 am

Unfortunately to survive in Starport you need to be able to have some kinda combat skills - as well as just building .. even though you may not wanna fight - is inevitable you'll have to sooner or later.
Noobs dont even get a chance to do that , some people stay outside of sol ALL day just waiting for a noob to kill :shock: . McGrod recruits noobs/newbs and helps em right?

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:28 am

Stormy wrote:
Noobs dont even get a chance to do that , some people stay outside of sol ALL day just waiting for a noob to kill :shock: . McGrod recruits noobs/newbs and helps em right?
strange how noobs don't get a chance to do anything, yet so many people have managed to transition from noobdom to not-as-newbydom

rojo

Post by rojo » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:57 pm

D-Tox1 wrote:
Cfreak wrote:Catfish is picking on me in A New Hope.. He tried to kill me when he was in an IGS and i was in a barge... I said go away i dont wanna fight, then he invaded my col (In same system), didnt take, so i went on and turned solar up to 10 but was losing about 500 metal per hour, he said when ur stockpile is gone an u r offline i will take :( all i did is not want to fight cos i was in a barge, it is my only colony and i have no nukes and no desire to fight either.
Lil buddy .. you built a colony - 1st rule of starport = what you build WILL get taken.. sooner or later.
You just wanna build .. Catfish just wants to fight an invade .. ( is a vicious circle) :?
You definately need to build your confidence up in 1 v 1 situation - sounds to me like your kinda vulnerable - is not a good thing to let other guys see...
Fight fire with fire next time .. ok you may lose - but you never learn if you never make mistakes :wink:
October 22nd, 2007-Post
December 24th, 2007-Reply

:roll:

pbhead

Post by pbhead » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:56 pm

joo got a problem with necroposting? :P (the topic is still valid, so w/e)

Talak.Winstar
Location: In Space, contemplating how exactly to negate the crappy events of OMD and BND story arcs.

Post by Talak.Winstar » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:41 pm

I think rojo just can't stand it here. :)

Return to your Black Hand forums, Rojo. For forum newbie-ness will be a lasting legacy of teh forums. :P

anito

Post by anito » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:32 pm

Hey, be nice to our fellow posters eh Talak?
Your the Miss Starport 2008 you know...

Talak.Winstar
Location: In Space, contemplating how exactly to negate the crappy events of OMD and BND story arcs.

Post by Talak.Winstar » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:34 pm

Very well Anito, though I will give rojo a plutonic wedgie bomb. >.>

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:49 am

Noobs dont even get a chance to do that , some people stay outside of sol ALL day just waiting for a noob to kill Shocked . McGrod recruits noobs/newbs and helps em right?
Yes that is true. Although recently I have been inactive on that side of things. If you got a problem mail me with all the details and dont try to hide anything just be straight with whats really going on and I will see what I can do to sort it out. I am currently residing on Permaverse as police officer there so thats the best place to get in touch with me or via mail on this forum.
Occasionally now I will be training cadets. It is not to everybody's taste as it is very much a straight dictatorship. Those that stick it out find it is worth the effort. (although I always recomend a change of name for elswhere and a code of silence).