California Proposition 19: Legalizing Weed

For non-Starport related topics

Moderator: Major

Did you want California Prop 19 to pass?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 39

mcdfatty

Re: California Proposition 19: Legalizing Weed

Post by mcdfatty » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:40 pm

Just wondering... why do you guys even like smoking this BBQ... it smells like crap and it has been proven that every cigar you smoke, wether it be weed or tobacco, shortens your life by 7 minutes per cigar.... i think its stupid and i dont want that BBQ in my lungs.

ygvbBubblez

Post by ygvbBubblez » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:57 pm

mcdfatty wrote:Just wondering... why do you guys even like smoking this ****... it smells like crap and it has been proven that every cigar you smoke, wether it be weed or tobacco, shortens your life by 7 minutes per cigar.... i think its stupid and i dont want that BBQ in my lungs.
Agreed, they already let you smoke Tobacco, and that does enough damage by itself, we don't need this stuff to be legal too.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:31 pm

mcdfatty wrote:Just wondering... why do you guys even like smoking this BBQ... it smells like crap and it has been proven that every cigar you smoke, wether it be weed or tobacco, shortens your life by 7 minutes per cigar.... i think its stupid and i dont want that BBQ in my lungs.
If you're going to spout factless I love puppies, at least back it up with a link to where this was 'proven'.

FYI you don't have to smoke marijuana, you can eat it or vaporize it - both involve no inhalation of smoke like tobacco.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:26 pm

mcdfatty wrote:Just wondering... why do you guys even like smoking this BBQ... it smells like crap and it has been proven that every cigar you smoke, wether it be weed or tobacco, shortens your life by 7 minutes per cigar.... i think its stupid and i dont want that BBQ in my lungs.
Actually that hasn't been proven and it's an urban myth.

But I agree. Smoking is a horrible habit.

So at the very rare occasions I happen to use Marijuana I eat it or drink tea of it.

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:39 pm

Barefoot wrote:
If you're going to spout factless I love puppies, at least back it up with a link to where this was 'proven'.

FYI you don't have to smoke marijuana, you can eat it or vaporize it - both involve no inhalation of smoke like tobacco.
Yes, if you're worried about the health issues related to smoking, vaporizers are the way to go.

to answer your question mcdfatty, i smoke simply because i enjoy it. i enjoy the high obviously, but also the smell and taste (as do many smokers, depending of course on the quality). I find it makes many everyday activities more entertaining, and creating certain things like art or music have a little more meaning to me after smoking. There are certain things you should think about before you smoke; where am i going to be while high, who will i be around, do i have to do anything important where being high may be a problem, etc etc. It only requires a small amount of common sense. If you are going to school/work, don't smoke before you go. If you plan on driving somewhere, don't smoke or wait a few hours to go where you are going. or hell, you can just walk.

i understand that this is a very simple way of looking at it, but it has kept me out of trouble/harm thus far. and of course, i don't think i should need a reason as to why i want "that BBQ in my lungs". theyre my lungs, i will do with them what i wish, thank you :)

mcdfatty

Post by mcdfatty » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:02 pm

Barefoot wrote:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 627AAnjLJ1

and

http://www.health.com/health/condition- ... 71,00.html

MastrIan

Post by MastrIan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:23 pm

mcdfatty wrote:
Barefoot wrote:

and

The first one a yahoo answer chosen by the person who asked the question, the 2nd link is to the dangers of smoking a cigarette (tobacco)
Completely ignores what people have been saying, there are alternatives to smoking marijuana, such as eating it. Before you respond to those negative side effects could you simultaneously look up the negative effects of caffeine? You can compare cigarettes to coffee but marijuana doesn't have the same unknown chemicals.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:32 pm

mcdfatty wrote:
Barefoot wrote:

and

Yahoo Answers is the complete antithesis of a reliable source.

And the second source, which was incredibly crude as admitted by the researchers, refers to cigarettes. There's in fact reason to believe Marijuana doesn't have the same effect.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 29_pf.html
http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/news/2 ... ung-cancer

Perhaps even on the contrary:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... =pmcentrez

But in the end I am of course against smoking anything.

megiddo

Post by megiddo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:30 am

Could you change the poll wording? I am for legalizing marijuana, but I am against Proposition 19. The two are not the same.

mcdfatty

Post by mcdfatty » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:38 pm

megiddo wrote:Could you change the poll wording? I am for legalizing marijuana, but I am against Proposition 19. The two are not the same.
fixed

mcdfatty

Post by mcdfatty » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:08 pm

mcdfatty wrote:Google California Proposition 19. It will be voted upon by all residents of california on November 2, 2010. What do you think about it. If passed, the recreational use of weed will be legal in California.

/discuss
8 days to the vote

Caia

Post by Caia » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:43 am

And the answer? NO!

Supporters overreached. Try again in a few years.

mcdfatty

Post by mcdfatty » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:39 pm

I changed the wording in the poll question again...

Changed "Do you want..." to "Did you want"

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:52 am

I love how when mcdfatty's argument gets trashed he just runs away :roll:

-PLAGUE-

Post by -PLAGUE- » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:16 pm

Saber-Fury wrote:I love how when mcdfatty's argument gets trashed he just runs away :roll:
Why would you want to argue with mcdfatty anyway? He's so nice and innocent and cuddly :>

falcon00

Post by falcon00 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:57 pm

sorry ppl it didnt get legalized so all us potheads are screwed

mcdfatty

Post by mcdfatty » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:54 pm

-PLAGUE- wrote:
Saber-Fury wrote:I love how when mcdfatty's argument gets trashed he just runs away :roll:
Why would you want to argue with mcdfatty anyway? He's so nice and innocent and cuddly :>
:}

mcdfatty

Post by mcdfatty » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:59 pm

Arizona finally passed their prop 203 after months of it not boding too well with the public...

prop 203 for arizona is medical marijuana

M2-Destroyer

Post by M2-Destroyer » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:40 pm

Just to join in the MadAce and Plague discussion ... A little background information here.
What is Crohn’s disease?

Crohn’s disease is an ongoing disorder that causes inflammation of the digestive tract, also referred to as the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Crohn’s disease can affect any area of the GI tract, from the mouth to the anus, but it most commonly affects the lower part of the small intestine, called the ileum. The swelling extends deep into the lining of the affected organ. The swelling can cause pain and can make the intestines empty frequently, resulting in diarrhea.

Crohn’s disease is an inflammatory bowel disease, the general name for diseases that cause swelling in the intestines. Because the symptoms of Crohn’s disease are similar to other intestinal disorders, such as irritable bowel syndrome and ulcerative colitis, it can be difficult to diagnose. Ulcerative colitis causes inflammation and ulcers in the top layer of the lining of the large intestine. In Crohn’s disease, all layers of the intestine may be involved, and normal healthy bowel can be found between sections of diseased bowel.

Crohn’s disease affects men and women equally and seems to run in some families. About 20 percent of people with Crohn’s disease have a blood relative with some form of inflammatory bowel disease, most often a brother or sister and sometimes a parent or child. Crohn’s disease can occur in people of all age groups, but it is more often diagnosed in people between the ages of 20 and 30. People of Jewish heritage have an increased risk of developing Crohn’s disease, and African Americans are at decreased risk for developing Crohn’s disease.

Crohn’s disease may also be called ileitis or enteritis.

What causes Crohn’s disease?

Several theories exist about what causes Crohn’s disease, but none have been proven. The human immune system is made from cells and different proteins that protect people from infection. The most popular theory is that the body’s immune system reacts abnormally in people with Crohn’s disease, mistaking bacteria, foods, and other substances for being foreign. The immune system’s response is to attack these “invaders.” During this process, white blood cells accumulate in the lining of the intestines, producing chronic inflammation, which leads to ulcerations and bowel injury.

Scientists do not know if the abnormality in the functioning of the immune system in people with Crohn’s disease is a cause, or a result, of the disease. Research shows that the inflammation seen in the GI tract of people with Crohn’s disease involves several factors: the genes the patient has inherited, the immune system itself, and the environment. Foreign substances, also referred to as antigens, are found in the environment. One possible cause for inflammation may be the body’s reaction to these antigens, or that the antigens themselves are the cause for the inflammation. Scientists have found that high levels of a protein produced by the immune system, called tumor necrosis factor (TNF), are present in people with Crohn’s disease.
Essentially, for those who can't be bothered reading that, Chrones disease is the inflamation of the gastro-intestinal tract, you know where your food goes after the stomach. It can also be, and most often is, when the immune system doesn't recognise the gastro-intestinal tract and the food remenants that pass through it as natural parts of the bodies functions and attacks it, much like it does the Flu, or the Common Cold, or when rejecting an implant.

Why is this relevant? Well Chrones disease causes a lot of pain, discomfort, vomiting and insomnia. My mother has Chrones disease and has all the aforementioned problems, amongst others, but because of the amount of medecines, such as steroids, that she is required to take to function day by day as normally as possible, she can't mix in sleeping tablets, or alcohol - which is understandable.

Therefore, she uses Marujiuana as it has a sedative effect.

She also recently aquired her degree in English Literature and has since started Teacher Training. So please, tell me that using the drug over many, many years has lowered her IQ?

Please, bear in mind, that the drug is not supplied by the National Health Service, therefore is of the same quality as those 'druggies' use (The ones that PLAGUE described so well).

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:38 pm

i laughed when i read that. no offense to you or your mother of course. i just had to laugh when you supported her intelligence with the fact that she's becoming an english teacher. roflmfao.

ive just had bad experiences with english teachers, ive only ever had one competent one, and i dare say as a whole they are the least intelligent, while educated, people ive met.

does anyone else feel the same? 0.o just wondering.

M2-Destroyer

Post by M2-Destroyer » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:25 pm

I've had my fair share with bad english teachers too - You're not the only one, but the fact that she managed to qualify with English Lit. which is one of the harder degrees and isn't a required degree for teaching (Can be any degree that looks at english) shows that her intelligence hasn't been effected in a negative fasion by drugs.

megiddo

Post by megiddo » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:24 am

A degree isn't a sign of intelligence, just a way to tell who has drive and the ability to follow instructions.

M2-Destroyer

Post by M2-Destroyer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:59 pm

megiddo wrote:A degree isn't a sign of intelligence, just a way to tell who has drive and the ability to follow instructions.
ACTUALLY - I think you'll find thats more school/college. In Uni you are provided with information (They are called lectures) and it is up to you to do research, to analyse it and to present it in a form which is appropriate to the subject matter as well as the associated question. If they told you HOW to do it, they might as well hand degree's out with a McD's happy meal. So come back when you have something that actually has a basis my friend.

megiddo

Post by megiddo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:14 pm

So come back when you have something that actually has a basis my friend.
Your statement has as much "basis" as mine (I don't see citations or sources in either post), so to imply that my statement has no basis while yours does is just misdirection, or, at worst, a lie. Maybe you meant "come back when you agree with me," or maybe you're just trying to defend your mother's intelligence. If it's the latter, then please know I'm not trying to insult your mother.

M2-Destroyer

Post by M2-Destroyer » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:55 pm

My basis is that if degree's were obtainable because the university, or grading authority, told you exactly what to do, many more people would have them.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:24 pm

M2-Destroyer wrote:My basis is that if degree's were obtainable because the university, or grading authority, told you exactly what to do, many more people would have them.
That's a flawed basis. You're comparing to a hypothetical, non-specific situation.

"Many more" could mean anything. For all we know we're already in the "many more" situation.

M2-Destroyer

Post by M2-Destroyer » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:34 pm

MadAce wrote:
M2-Destroyer wrote:My basis is that if degree's were obtainable because the university, or grading authority, told you exactly what to do, many more people would have them.
That's a flawed basis. You're comparing to a hypothetical, non-specific situation.

"Many more" could mean anything. For all we know we're already in the "many more" situation.

Here's one to keep MadAce busy for the next few hours.

'Prove that we aren't'

megiddo

Post by megiddo » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:55 am

I reread my claim and M2's. I think we're both somewhat correct. Some university degrees require an extreme amount of effort to obtain without high intelligence, and some don't. The existence of not-so-intelligent people that hold university degrees proves that drive and determination is sufficient to get some degrees. Maybe that's not the case for all degrees.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:30 am

M2-Destroyer wrote:
MadAce wrote:

'Prove that we aren't'
I'm not your personal toy, you haughty, indignant POS.

Maybe you should go to school with some actually smart people and get a little perspective.

M2-Destroyer

Post by M2-Destroyer » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:07 pm

MadAce wrote:
I'm not your personal toy, you haughty, indignant POS.

Maybe you should go to school with some actually smart people and get a little perspective.
Now now, no need for such names MadAce :) We're all friends here :)

And for the record, i do have my own perspective, otherwise i wouldn't have offered my opinion on the subject :)

By the way - The reference to the
, i wrote that simply because i expected a whopper of a post from you, attempting to completely discredit what i've said with sources etc, like you have done to others in the past, it's interesting to have a rant like that with you as it often makes me, as well as others i am sure, look at a topic from another standpoint.