Yes, plenty of use
67%
No, they're rubbish
33%

Total votes: 33

Drifter101

MINE PRODUCTION IN WEAPON FACTORYS

Post by Drifter101 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:24 am

Hey, in colonies, i noticed you can research x2 production for flaks and for missiles but you cant research x2 mine production, this means you get much worse value if you choose to manufacture mines, This is a shame cos you can have fun with mines, like say creating a mine field in open space, or filling a corridor on your planet with mines. Maybe the same tech that doubles flak production could be made to also double mine production?? Thanks.

Humna

Post by Humna » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:02 am

Mines are incredibly useful if you're defending planets that are one or more hops away from the nearest starport. Planets with a starport in the system don't benefit much from mines, invaders can just kamikaze them and buy new shields. But in my last game, my home system was 2 hops from the nearest starbase... I built my biodomes as far from the warp points as possible and laid down tons of mines. Nobody touched them. They're guaranteed damage, and putting down 10 mines was like charging a toll of 15 fuel, because the invader would have to hit them and fly 2 hops and back to replenish his shields.

Proletariat

Post by Proletariat » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:43 pm

Honestly, I've never found use for them. Mines might cause a fixed amount of damage, but depending on the map, a flak will cause the the attacker a lot more just being by slowing down the enemy while the solar fires.

Maybe if the mines knocked back the enemy every time one goes off, they might actually be worthwhile.

EDIT: Holy crap, I just realized how completely hugged up that post was. This headache will be the death of me.
Last edited by Proletariat on Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bugs

Post by Bugs » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:47 pm

Or if they blew you back into space.

Bugs

Post by Bugs » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:49 pm

Or if they didnt actually explode only drained energy while you flew over them

Wolf

EMP

Post by Wolf » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:22 pm

How about a new version of mines that do the same as the EMP of the Sethdar??? Imagine rushing the Dome just to be stopped with no engines for 5 seconds in the middle of the flaks and Solar! That would be a mine that would demand respect.

I still use mines in locations such as narrow passages where someone could use the Grav thru the wall to take them out without a fight, but I use flaks anywhere they are going to get a shot off.

Ipps

Post by Ipps » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:49 pm

I often use mines to "mine" people in. Basically, I find a high-level sleeper in a port and surround the port with so many mines that I get a message saying that I'm not allowed to put down any more mines. When the person comes out, they land on the mines and instantly blow up (well, the majority of the time), making for an easy and productive kill. I also do this to colonies that I know people are sleeping at. Afterwards, there may or may not be a hole where the mines that blew up the person were (depending on how many shields there are). So other players will go into the port/planet through the hole, but when they come out they land on mines and blow up. The best thing about doing this is you get just as much EXP as you would for a normal kill, although I never really noticed if you get the person's money.

This strategy is really only applicable near starbases, as it costs quite a lot in fuel, and about 1.5 million in credits.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:29 pm

Ipps, how can you lay mines so close together that the victim blows up immediately? It seems to me they would only set off 1 or 2, maybe 3 maximum before returning to port for more shields. I could be very wrong on this.

(MSR)Peace

Post by (MSR)Peace » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:52 pm

Thats right. I put maximum mines around a starport in order to catch a certain fellow, but when he popped out, it only did 50% damage, and we had those babies packed tight. Even if it could have been done more efficiently, I think 80% damage is pretty much tops in one go...

Me and my buddies ran the guy down w/ nukes and finished him off, to conclude that story. Cheap, but I feel justified concidering who the victem was :P

Ipps

Post by Ipps » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:52 pm

Toonces, I've done it to several people before and it has been done to me before. Like I said, the majority of the time it will work, but not always; probably because that person had too many shields (and/or shield eminators). The key is that the person doesn't realize that the starport is surrounded with mines when they hit the "exit" button, and therefore doesn't think to max out on shields before exiting (or they do, but have a crappy ship).

But as for placing mines on top of eachother, I'll get an error message after placing about 3 or 4 on top of eachother, but if I simply keep clicking to drop the mine it will eventually go on top of the other ones.

Humna

Post by Humna » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:16 am

Mines are overlappable in space, so are flak cannons. Recluse took over a moderately defended planet in my home system last game, and moved about 35 flak cannons into orbit around the planet I was sleeping on in a very tight circle. I escaped, but it took a while to destroy them all.

Yeah, you can pack mines together VERY tightly in space.

Proletariat

Post by Proletariat » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:01 am

Agreed, and whereas before it was just a minor nuisance for people who sleep near starbase, now it's become a ridiculously cheap and easy way to kill someone.

Find out where they are either by neutrino scan (if they're sleeping in UN-protected colonies), checking the list of players in starports, or just plain following them. Get a barge and load up on mines and drop all of them on the place where they're sleeping. Rinse, and repeat, and voila, the guy can't get out, ever, without getting someone else to diffuse the mines, and that's if they even know what's being done to them. Basically, the only sure way to not get killed every time you go offline anymore is to log off in UN space.

You can't place mines around the warp points, so why the hell can you do it to starports?...

(MSR)Peace

Post by (MSR)Peace » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:00 pm

If it wasn't possible to do this with mines, mines would finally be absolutly, completely useless. Mining a port is a fair, legititimate strategy, regardless of how cheap or downright cruel it is.

If you want to make sure you are 100% safe, sleep in a port within UN space, otherwise prepare yourself for the worst.

Proletariat

Post by Proletariat » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:25 pm

> Mining a port is a fair, legititimate strategy, regardless of how cheap or downright cruel it is.

:roll:

Drifter101

Post by Drifter101 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:19 am

Hello TOONCES, so would you consider creating colony research that allows X2 mine production in weapon factories, as there is already research for X2 production of flaks, nuke and negotiators. Thanks.

theohn

Post by theohn » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:29 pm

i think you shuld have mines set to blow you in a random durecshon, hence making it likly you ould be sent flying into the main part of the minefeald, makeing them more deady and acshuly usefull in planatary defance.

Arcanis

Post by Arcanis » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:40 pm

i only use minesin space, i carry some with me when i'm in a slower ship so when someone comes up close behind me to use their weapon i drop them and they dont have a chance to react, blam!

dropping flaks during a duel is sneaky too since they damage the person's real shields not the duel ones, and it instantly ends the duel but most people never realize it

Drifter101

Post by Drifter101 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:47 pm

didnt know that about flaks in duels - very crafty!