making reconnect easier

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

omlow

making reconnect easier

Post by omlow » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:38 am

adding a countdown timer of however long needed to the "Your internet connection to the Starport servers stopped working. You must be connected to play. Try to re-connect now?" box would avoid the enormous frustration of "You must wait a moment before logging back in."

anyone agree?

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Re: making reconnect easier

Post by Saber-Fury » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:45 pm

i don't understand why we must "wait a moment before logging back in" in the first place

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:17 pm

Saber-Fury wrote:i don't understand why we must "wait a moment before logging back in" in the first place
Toonces way of stopping people from somehow disconnecting themselves so they fly out of a colony instead of dying.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:05 am

I think the delay can be reduced a bit. It was originally implemented because some people disconnected when tractor beamed.

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:24 am

Yes you can blame that patch on Notorious, him and his pals use to abuse it all the time to get out of emps and tractors, once others did it to them they cryed.

avitohol

Post by avitohol » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:19 am

Pragmatic solution to bug using. Can't blame that.

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:29 pm

Ya but when you get stuck on a planet warp with the solar blasting you away with a igs ship it sucks to lose 2k because of a unneeded timer. As usual the actions of a few ruin the game for the majority.

Besides nobody fights anymore using tractors or emps so the original reason for the timer is no longer needed.

Mr Cow

Post by Mr Cow » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:14 am

i use emp all the time, hard to nuke people with 7 flights and ab's...also think about blitz...tractoring happens every game bud... :!:

avitohol

Post by avitohol » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:05 am

Hey i shouldn't have to deal with 10 shot solar. And invading double domes like a one off thing. But hey a few people RUINED the game for us :*(

duece

Post by duece » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:15 am

This is probably difficult to implement, but would it be possible to freeze the logged off player into their position? The problem is that when someone logs back in they're ship jumps randomly because the server assigns them a random location (unless it's been changed but it used to work like this). But if the server could just track the location of the ship for a minute or two and if they log back in within that time they'll be in the same spot and gain no edge to escape.

The log in delay is extremely annoying, especially when you're legitimately dealing with lag.