New Galaxy Idea

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Toonces
Site Admin

New Galaxy Idea

Post by Toonces » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:36 am

The idea is for a perma galaxy that starts off PAX. For 6 months. Then it becomes non-PAX.

Other minor settings so far include:
- Mostly red NPCs
- Similar settings to PAX big bang

The rest of the settings are still open for suggestion. Is this a good idea?

nine-breaker

Re: New Galaxy Idea

Post by nine-breaker » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:07 am

Toonces wrote:The idea is for a perma galaxy that starts off PAX. For 6 months. Then it becomes non-PAX.

Other minor settings so far include:
- Mostly red NPCs
- Similar settings to PAX big bang

The rest of the settings are still open for suggestion. Is this a good idea?
I always like the smaller maps, like Civil War, smaller areas = more encounters = more conflict

You can have less people and still be more competitive than a large galaxy with tons of people.

Major

Post by Major » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:16 pm

how about only building mods to encourage folks that normally won't play a pax to build/play in the early stages.

LordSturm

Post by LordSturm » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:40 pm

galaxy should start out smallish and expand after set periods of time.

do we really want this as a perma? or an extended... my vote is an extended rebang 6 months pax 6 months regular.

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:30 am

Lets make it a perma and let the Builders ripen it up for 6 months :D

Minor suggestion: Please allow PKing still, just no colony invading

I think Just building mods while its a pax, then unlock them all :D

Good idea Jedi, here comes your new Perma :D

gothicorpunk

Post by gothicorpunk » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:46 am

Let the builders do work for 6months. Then invader's like me will come and many more to wipe out your 6months of work..

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:49 am

gothicorpunk wrote:Let the builders do work for 6months. Then invader's like me will come and many more to wipe out your 6months of work..
Corp with me GOP, Ill help! :D

teyla

Post by teyla » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:34 am

my new server idea is far better check it out

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Horrible idea.

Reasons:

*The server will be quite inactive durning the course of those 6 months
*There is a strategy that players have for building empires, this wont require the players to build at expensive costs and will create extremely large empires before the server is entered.
*There is a micro gameplay in SGE, this will ruin that Micro gameplay.
*Building an empire should take strategy on both how fast you build it and when you defend it in correlation with the fluxing prices. This destroys the need to have that strategy.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:13 pm

I don't know...... after six months the front runner builders will have earned quite a bit of xp, not to mention it wouldnt be hard to time a massive 3rd disaster die-off for the 6 month mark, or just sell all WFs, take all cash, sell all bio3s, etc etc. If anything there needs to be some surprise to the flip-over to pvp. Maybe have it randomly happen from 3-5 months after banging, then have it stay pvp for an equal amount?

ASLO: No mods (at least for the pvp), old layouts, no asteroids.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:14 am

Well, even if its perma we can always just declare some people the winner and hand out the trophies and tourney points whenever it seems appropriate, as in, there is not much more competition.

I'm thinking a medium sized galaxy... the target i think would be big enough to be colonizable throughout the PAX phase, and small enough to be fully built up by the time the barbarians arrive.

There are also a few other settings to consider that might be important:
Corp size?
Fog of War?
Ports only buying resources?
What percentage of systems have ports?

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:33 am

Toonces wrote:Well, even if its perma we can always just declare some people the winner and hand out the trophies and tourney points whenever it seems appropriate, as in, there is not much more competition.

I'm thinking a medium sized galaxy... the target i think would be big enough to be colonizable throughout the PAX phase, and small enough to be fully built up by the time the barbarians arrive.

Corp size?
Fog of War?
I would recommend not starting a new perma, as players are already spread thin on the current permas. This will not help the current situation. Perhaps you should create incentive for players to return to permas other than exp. Give them something worth fighting for.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:23 am

Mel'Kaven wrote:
Toonces wrote:Well, even if its perma we can always just declare some people the winner and hand out the trophies and tourney points whenever it seems appropriate, as in, there is not much more competition.

Corp size?
Fog of War?
I would recommend not starting a new perma, as players are already spread thin on the current permas. This will not help the current situation. Perhaps you should create incentive for players to return to permas other than exp. Give them something worth fighting for.
I'm leaning more to this.

gamanche

Post by gamanche » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:04 am

Corp size?
Fog of War?
Size2-3
fog of war, yes
ports only buying resources, no
75% systems have ports

LordSturm

Post by LordSturm » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:30 pm

If anything, more minigame type servers are needed, improve what the game currently has instead of another server. Make colonies have more value ingame ( open for ideas), this game is planetcentric however peoples motivation to get planets is at an all-time low which = a dead game. More stuff to do with what we already have will pay you more long term then 2 week long new server token purchases ever will.

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:31 am

We need a 1 Hour Blitz Still! D:

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:17 am

StarLAN requested a Pax Perma. He was nice enough to agree to the opening of it for battle at the 6-month mark, which is a new idea.

I may close an existing perma and declare winners if the competition has gone stale. The current frontrunners for this are The New Frontier and Rise of the Pirates.

Any other suggestions for aspects of this upcoming Pax to War game are welcome :)

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:34 am

Toonces wrote:StarLAN requested a Pax Perma. He was nice enough to agree to the opening of it for battle at the 6-month mark, which is a new idea.

I may close an existing perma and declare winners if the competition has gone stale. The current frontrunners for this are The New Frontier and Rise of the Pirates.

Any other suggestions for aspects of this upcoming Pax to War game are welcome :)

new content is more important than adding new permas, I think. But if you insist on deleting a galaxy, delete the both of them.

gamanche

Post by gamanche » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:56 am

delete 2, and add 1, sounds good to me

gothicorpunk

Post by gothicorpunk » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:49 pm

gamanche wrote:delete 3, and add 1, sounds good to me

KingDemon

Post by KingDemon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:21 pm

Toonces wrote:StarLAN requested a Pax Perma. He was nice enough to agree to the opening of it for battle at the 6-month mark, which is a new idea.

Rise of the Pirates is starting to become more active again.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:17 pm

Old layouts
ports in 25% of systems
layout like p2
no asteroids

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:05 am

Delete every server but 1 and have Huge epic battles and invasions! :D

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:05 am

Delete every server but 1 and have Huge epic battles and invasions! :D

duece

Post by duece » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:08 am

I'd like it if you could reduce the barriers to producing weapons, so that when the pax phase ends it's a huge explosive event. Increase the rates laser cannons and nukes are made, and reduce the resources needed to produce them. This might be pushing it, but maybe replicate the rates that existed way back before the resource consumption patch (37.5 nukes on any col, 75 nukes on volcanics).

I think both phases should be embraced, after the pax phase it should be an all out war phase, and the settings should reflect that. I like the p5 map (does p5 still exist? lol)

This isn't really server specific, but maybe improve the lesser used planet types, especially volcanics. Seriously, volcanics used to be my favorite planet type and i haven't built one in 4 years :(

I posted an idea here forever ago about increasing the research discovery limits on the lesser used planet types.. i don't know if that would be so hard but i'd love it.

Major

Post by Major » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:35 pm

duece wrote:I'd like it if you could reduce the barriers to producing weapons, so that when the pax phase ends it's a huge explosive event. Increase the rates laser cannons and nukes are made, and reduce the resources needed to produce them. This might be pushing it, but maybe replicate the rates that existed way back before the resource consumption patch (37.5 nukes on any col, 75 nukes on volcanics).

I think both phases should be embraced, after the pax phase it should be an all out war phase, and the settings should reflect that. I like the p5 map (does p5 still exist? lol)

This isn't really server specific, but maybe improve the lesser used planet types, especially volcanics. Seriously, volcanics used to be my favorite planet type and i haven't built one in 4 years :(

I posted an idea here forever ago about increasing the research discovery limits on the lesser used planet types.. i don't know if that would be so hard but i'd love it.

"all out war"... /goosebumps! great idea about weapon output increased.

Also, most, not all, but most volcanic types are not going to making weapons because you need all the slider space for a healthy solar cannon and something to keep the population from dropping, unless its babysat, or very lucky with researches. 100% agree volcanic types need a boost of some type.

Perhaps a research only available to the particular planet type that can help with something, for example: Volcs; planetary cooling. This could increase anaerobe and equipment output, to add population and weapon factory's. The effect's would stack on other research.

Just an example, but worth a discussion.

duece

Post by duece » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:27 am

That's true, if I remember right, just before the research patch came out (and you could still get all 16), a person with 5 charisma could get their volcanic to 6.9k population, it would have enough metal ore for 10 solar shots (was 50 per shot back then, and there were no refinery sliders), and they produced 22 nukes a day (this was before weapon factories used resources). That's with all 16 research discoveries which each used to be roughly what a level 3 discovery is now. And I'd want it to be even more than that.

The lava mill just barely gets the weapon factory output to what larger population cols easily do, but they're so far away from harvesting enough uranium it's basically moot. A problem I had with 10 research discoveries is that a good number of discoveries depend on others synergistic-ally but are worthless alone. Most of the time a planet gets Industrial Complex or Advanced Aerodynamics, it's still bottle-necked by resources so it doesn't actually produce any more weapons. Or if a planet gets Spectroscopes without Advanced Engineering (or vice versa), it usually makes no difference. Spice mining only had value in conjunction with Commodities Market, and even if you get them both but one of them is low level, it won't be worthwhile to harvest any spice. And then there's stuff like Stock Market which is always useless.

People bitched about the research patch like crazy when it came out, and then the new generation just accepted it as is, but imo it's still very poorly designed. The same is true for planet types, they used to each have specialties, but were roughly equal value. Volcanics produced the most weapons, Oceans harvested every resource and had high population growth, Earths had the highest growth but couldn't harvest every resource well, Arctics produced the most exp, Rockies had the highest tax rates, Deserts produced mass amounts of spice which could be sold with commodities market, and Greenhouses had the most drag and could hide from scanners. All planets could maintain maximum military rates, and produced enough credits to cover their own pollution with some profit.

In the current system Rockies are the absolute best because they can sustain the most powerful solar cannons, the next tier has Mountains, Oceans, and Arctics, followed by Earthlikes (not sure what they're like after the last solar cannon patch), then Deserts, Paradises, Greenhouses, and the Volcanics which aren't worth building. The differences in population overwhelm every other trait of a colony (except for Rockies), and it is poorly balanced in my opinion.

I keep going off on tangents lol, and this isn't really about the new server as much as something that should be fixed for every server.

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:19 pm

bump, i love this idea

Mr Cow

Post by Mr Cow » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:24 pm

sure...but i want a small map with fog of war... and 6th months seems overkill

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:06 pm

Mr Cow wrote:sure...but i want a small map with fog of war... and 6th months seems overkill
its pax, why would u want fog of war?