Double the amount of research a colony can have

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

duece

Double the amount of research a colony can have

Post by duece » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:27 pm

I don't think 20/80 would make colonies any less unique than what we have now, but it would increase the chances of getting two different complementary research discoveries (when was the last time you saw spice mining and commodities market on the same col?)

Also I think weaker planet layouts should get more, in the order from least to most
1. Earthlike
2. Ocean
3. Arctic
4. Rocky
5. Mountain
6. Greenhouse
7. Volcanic
8. Paradise Worlds

I also think Paradise worlds should be able to get all 80 discoveries if you're willing to spend the time on them, this way they're actually more valuable than other types.

NARUTARD

Re: Double the amount of research a colony can have

Post by NARUTARD » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:14 pm

Yes honestly I think that the 10/10 random research system could use some tweaks to it. Although I'm not quite sure about the paradise thing you mentioned.. Paradise planets should get more but maybe not everything. Also you forgot desert.

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:18 pm

deserts are right down there with volcs and mountains.

SpaceToast

Post by SpaceToast » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:23 pm

im all for it :/

NARUTARD

Post by NARUTARD » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:58 pm

On PvP servers its horribly disappointing when half of your research goes to stock/commodities market or spice mining. It's like only having 5 research but now it's going to take that much longer to find something that can actually help the colony itself.

Woots

Post by Woots » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:51 am

but thats where it gets challenging, ya gotta know how to influence researches, and if you don't get the ones you want you have to try to make it the best col you can.
or you can let it die

NARUTARD

Post by NARUTARD » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:54 am

From what I understand all research is completely random. The only thing that will effect it is Directorship or Prison. Other than that please explain to me how i get industrial complex with a radio tower and a refinery please.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:18 am

Nope, a master builder has the ability to change the outcome of a research through the settings of a colony. This, however, does not give you a 100% chance at working however, only a greater chance. A volcanoe still won't get spice mining if you put 100% mining on spice (although it might have a slightly higher chance). The planet type and the like effect it a nice bit as well.

NARUTARD

Post by NARUTARD » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:41 am

Yeah sorry I misread the Starport wiki page about discoveries. It's still horribly random though. Much much too random still, or as you said a slim amount, much too slim for the discovery limit to be set to 10 for all planet types. Honestly I think it would be just as good at 15 as it would be 20 if you're lucky and work it right. But the thing right now is even with some decent research volcanic and greenhouse colonies have a much harder time getting stable or just getting one good feature to it (aside from harvesting a ton of one resource) to actually get anything back out from building it aside from the exp/hour. Almost all earthlike colonies no matter what the research is can support 10-12k population and there is a lot you can do with that just in itself because of the planet type. So even if earthlike colonies were left at 10 research they would be just fine.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:45 am

Actually, I am talking about spice on volcanoes... volcanoes make nearly NO spice... that is the least likely research you will get on a volcanoe. However, on a volcanoe, you can get military researches with nearly no trouble at all, you just need to know how to do it and you have like a 80% chance of getting military.

NARUTARD

Post by NARUTARD » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:01 am

Well you managed to remind me of the missing piece of the puzzle I forgot. Although the way it is now it seems kind of ridiculous to have to kill your colony and start over in three days because the research was crappy.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:12 am

you forgot that planet type affects research?

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:12 am

id like a special building on my colony inside of which i could pay massive amounts of credits to remove bad researches. (preferablly choosing one by one, but a total reselection would still be better than the way it is now.)

this way i would still need to spend the time researching over and over until i "randomly" got what i wanted, but i could bypass the burning, waiting a week, and rebuilding phases.

this would be with or without the doubled limit being proposed in this thread, but could be worked in as multiple levels of the same building if so desired. such as level 1 gives 10 research slots, level 2 gives 20 research slots, level 3 gives ability to selectively unlearn researches.

the power of unlearning researches would come with a built in balance, increased weakness to sabatoge, which is why you might want to tie something like that into a level 3 building which i could remove from my colony after it was set up just right.

breakdown

Post by breakdown » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:31 pm

Good idea and the balance seems to be well thought out and make sense. My favorite part is IGPs having the ability to discover every research; they really need something to make them more desirable and that would certainly do it.

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:50 am

the 0 pollution per day even at 25k pop (without a single point in environment) doesn't do anything for you?

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:53 am

Arctics have more chances to get lv 5 adv arch, way to cheap. I completely disargee with this. well at lest for arctics. I always set a dome on arctics 1k pop 100% res directorship and hoep for lv 5 adv arch, if not I kill it and move on. :lol:

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:02 pm

I disagree. 10/10 is fine.

And Earthlikes and Oceans are weak takes for a reason. In return for less security, they're easier to manage compared to most planets and usually can make you some fair money.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:40 pm

Dave34 wrote:I say we make cols as badass as possible so no one can take them and the only way to do anything is to build or buy col's :D
We're getting pretty close to that.... :(

Major.Arse

Post by Major.Arse » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:04 pm

tekkamanblade wrote:the 0 pollution per day even at 25k pop (without a single point in environment) doesn't do anything for you?

how many igp's have you slashed and burned after getting crappy researches? weather prediction lvl5? awesome! :roll:

duece

Post by duece » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:17 am

If not double, I think increasing research for the weaker planet types is important. To establish some kind of balance that used to exist.

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:58 am

ArdRhys4 wrote:Actually, I am talking about spice on volcanoes... volcanoes make nearly NO spice... that is the least likely research you will get on a volcanoe. However, on a volcanoe, you can get military researches with nearly no trouble at all, you just need to know how to do it and you have like a 80% chance of getting military.
Unless I'm mistaken.. this isn't how you even attempt to influence researches...

And I don't think you're speaking from experience- aside from deciding to build a volc, why would you try and get.. spice mining... :roll: on it?

duece

Post by duece » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:12 pm

I've called people out on this before, and I'll do it again. Tell me your process for influencing research, and make it as methodical as you can, cutting your gut feelings. And when I test it on a large scale I'll prove to you that statistically speaking, you're full of BBQ.

Currently there is somewhere between a 1/8 - 5/8 chance that you'll get at least level 1 of a specific discovery you want. 5/8 in the case that all research discoveries are random, 1/8 in the case that once you get one you'll get all 5 of that one. Toonces has said you have a higher chance of leveling up than getting a new discovery, but hasn't said what those chances are.

Most people claim their methods boost the chance of getting a type of discovery, and usually count 3-6 research discoveries in a group. They'll also claim that nothing is 100% and will claim a success rate of 50-70%. But with the chance of getting any one discovery somewhere between 12.5%-62.5% (getting one discovery of a group being several times higher), you can almost always just do random I love puppies and achieve a similar result.

My theory is that there is some mechanism in place to affect research but it's impact is statistically irrelevant, so nobody knows if it's working like it should and it will just never be fixed.

In the meantime, I want more discoveries per planets, and I'd like to rehabilitate volcs/greenhouses/deserts.

omlow

Post by omlow » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:24 am

robotchicken wrote:I've called people out on this before, and I'll do it again. Tell me your process for influencing research, and make it as methodical as you can, cutting your gut feelings. And when I test it on a large scale I'll prove to you that statistically speaking, you're full of BBQ.

Currently there is somewhere between a 1/8 - 5/8 chance that you'll get at least level 1 of a specific discovery you want. 5/8 in the case that all research discoveries are random, 1/8 in the case that once you get one you'll get all 5 of that one. Toonces has said you have a higher chance of leveling up than getting a new discovery, but hasn't said what those chances are.

Most people claim their methods boost the chance of getting a type of discovery, and usually count 3-6 research discoveries in a group. They'll also claim that nothing is 100% and will claim a success rate of 50-70%. But with the chance of getting any one discovery somewhere between 12.5%-62.5% (getting one discovery of a group being several times higher), you can almost always just do random I love puppies and achieve a similar result.

My theory is that there is some mechanism in place to affect research but it's impact is statistically irrelevant, so nobody knows if it's working like it should and it will just never be fixed.

In the meantime, I want more discoveries per planets, and I'd like to rehabilitate volcs/greenhouses/deserts.
you obviously dont search for artifacts much, but when you buy drinks sometimes the bartender says that the researches disovered on a planet aren't random and government type influences them.

Major.Arse

Post by Major.Arse » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:15 pm

omlow wrote:
robotchicken wrote:I've called people out on this before, and I'll do it again. Tell me your process for influencing research, and make it as methodical as you can, cutting your gut feelings. And when I test it on a large scale I'll prove to you that statistically speaking, you're full of BBQ.

you obviously dont search for artifacts much, but when you buy drinks sometimes the bartender says that the researches disovered on a planet aren't random and government type influences them.
meaning directorship doubles the amount of output to research.

NARUTARD

Post by NARUTARD » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:20 am

Dave34 wrote:controlling research would be nice, rather than running through 20 volcs to get weth pred 5 and mil trad 5 -_-
Or at least making the influence players have over the research to be more effective would be just as good. How do ya influence weather prediction anyway? Aside from colony type

Woots

Post by Woots » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:29 am

"Necessity is the mother of invention" or in this case, researches.
If ya think that way you can influence more easily
And its not random. Don't you listen to the bar guy?

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:09 pm

the bar guy has always said the same thing about research, and it has always been about directorship government increasing research speed, NOT government type influencing which researches you actually get.

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:15 pm

Major.Arse wrote:
omlow wrote:

meaning directorship doubles the amount of output to research.
And that prison nullifies all possibilities of discovering something.

Nightmare

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:13 am

Saber-Fury wrote:
ArdRhys4 wrote:Actually, I am talking about spice on volcanoes... volcanoes make nearly NO spice... that is the least likely research you will get on a volcanoe. However, on a volcanoe, you can get military researches with nearly no trouble at all, you just need to know how to do it and you have like a 80% chance of getting military.
Unless I'm mistaken.. this isn't how you even attempt to influence researches...

And I don't think you're speaking from experience- aside from deciding to build a volc, why would you try and get.. spice mining... :roll: on it?
I used the least likely scenario XD. the point was that it is VERY unlikely that you would get spice mining. Of course, as you said, why would you want spice mining anyway. Well, if you do, you should know that it is not easy XD.