New ship graphics

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Paneak

New ship graphics

Post by Paneak » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:11 pm

Here is my rough concepts for updating ship graphics...these were all done using 3DS Max. Just think it would be neat to update the ship images. Feedback is wanted and welcome (just refrain from flaming).

***Posting All versions in this post to make it eaiser to follow***

Merchant Cruiser

Merchant Freighter

Orignal Concept:

Current Concept: (Orignal ISC concept):

CEO Flagship

Orignal Concept:

Current Concept:

Imperial Starcrusier

Orignal Concept:

Current Concept:

Dreamsower

Garbage Barge

Orignal Concept

Current Concept

Galaxy Whale

Orignal Concept:

Current Concept:

Battleship

Orignal Concept:

Current Concept:

Tyrolean Falcon

Orignial Concept:

Current Concept:

Avenger

Original Concept:

Current Concept:

Vulture

Scout Marauder

Speedster

Orignal Concept:

Current Concept:

Intergalactics' Ship

Original Concept

Current Concept:

Sethar Crusier

Escape Pod

Last edited by Paneak on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:39 pm

Merchant Freighter

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:40 pm

CEO Flagship

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:41 pm

Imperial Starcrusier

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:42 pm

Dreamsower

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:43 pm

Garbage Barge

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:44 pm

Galaxy Whale

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:55 pm

Battleship

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:03 pm

Tyrolean Falcon

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:05 pm

Avenger

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:08 pm

Vulture

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:21 pm

Scout Marauder

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:23 pm

Speedster

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:27 pm

Intergalactics' Ship

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:30 pm

Sethar Crusier

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:34 pm

Escape Pod

toast

Post by toast » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:09 pm

nice pics but i think you should make them look more like the ships we already had, but with a little twist.

Cuz right now i wouldnt recognize any of them, and it would be unfortunate to mistake an igs for a speedstar or watever...

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:13 pm

toast wrote:nice pics but i think you should make them look more like the ships we already had, but with a little twist.

Cuz right now i wouldnt recognize any of them, and it would be unfortunate to mistake an igs for a speedstar or watever...
What i was aiming for was to capture the "essencse" of the ship, when you look at the image you think.."Oh yeah...thats a battleship" instead of "O cool...imperial star destroyer" or "Neat it looks like an XBox controller."

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:17 pm

i agree with toast

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:20 pm

Cheesy wrote:i agree with toast
You can't look at the picture above for the vulture and not think of the orignal...its green and clumsy looking! In most cases I wanted to bring features from the orignal, but somethings i think the current image just didn't fit the role of the ship. I'm not saying the images above are the end all be all, but you have to admit the sether crusier pic above is far more menacing than the "boob" ship image currently used. I was also trying to avoid the cliched images such as the star trek and star wars influence on the other images...again these are just my thoughts on the subject and my effort to contribute.

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:50 pm

avenger, igs, and speed star are the most obvious examples and theres others. plus its kewl how many of the current ships look like ships where all familiar with, the star ship enterprise, xbox controller, etc

BMF1000D

Post by BMF1000D » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:01 pm

New images would be nice. IG definitely needs to glow purple though. Battleship doesn't look scary enough. Some are too dark. Dream Sower and Garbage Barge are too similar. Speedstar isn't sleek enough. I like the detail of the images.

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:22 pm

BMF1000D wrote:New images would be nice. IG definitely needs to glow purple though. Battleship doesn't look scary enough. Some are too dark. Dream Sower and Garbage Barge are too similar. Speedstar isn't sleek enough. I like the detail of the images.
I agree with BS, i was thinking it looked more like Galaxy whale...I might do another one.

Toonces
Site Admin

Re: New ship graphics

Post by Toonces » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:03 am

great pics, good work! but, our system for the ship art is proprietary and low-res

BMF1000D

Post by BMF1000D » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:15 am

Paneak wrote:
BMF1000D wrote:New images would be nice. IG definitely needs to glow purple though. Battleship doesn't look scary enough. Some are too dark. Dream Sower and Garbage Barge are too similar. Speedstar isn't sleek enough. I like the detail of the images.
I agree with BS, i was thinking it looked more like Galaxy whale...I might do another one.
Just swap galaxy whale and battleship.

I'm thinking swap the Avenger and the Falcon, too. The Avenger should be sleek and stealthy (black).

The Sethdar is awesome.

duece

Post by duece » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:48 am

I definitely agree the falcon and avenger should be switched. And I really love these even if it would take time to get used to. And I think the ISC should be sleeker/longer as that fits more with how it handles and works.
Toonces wrote: great pics, good work! but, our system for the ship art is proprietary and low-res
But is there anyway to modify these to work with that system?

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:08 am

robotchicken wrote:
Toonces wrote: great pics, good work! but, our system for the ship art is proprietary and low-res
But is there anyway to modify these to work with that system?
he cant tell us, its proprietary

Paneak

Re: New ship graphics

Post by Paneak » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:19 am

Toonces wrote:great pics, good work! but, our system for the ship art is proprietary and low-res
I simply rendered these at 320X240 for forum purposes, they very easily could be rendered at whatever is needed and could also probally take a color count hit and still maintain quality. I can provide them in just about any format you could need...and then you could do whatever you want with them.

NeatLogs

Post by NeatLogs » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:29 pm

I must say that these look very good.

Ones I like:

Merchant Cruiser: Looks like it was built for aesthetics, seems to have a cargo bay that makes it off-balance. Perfect.

Dreamsower: One long cargo bay rigged with booster-like engines since it's so heavy. Awesome. But It would be perfect if the bridge were smaller and the petal-bays were kept.

Garbage Barge: Green and industrial, which is perfect. But needs something to represent hardware bay overload, like massive blocks added around the two sides of the neck or some other thing with an "added for weapons" look.

Tyrolean Falcon: Very nice job. Just a little wider near the centre for the "I've got a bit of cargo to smuggle stuff" look and it'd be perfect.

Avenger: Perfect. Slight angular look, small fins for steering and to keep a low profile, in-built engines, sleek but only up to a purpose. Perfect. Even the grills feel completely on the mark.

Vulture: Feels like the wings were built around the firing of missiles and that they didn't pay attention to the engines or structural integrity. Best one next to the avenger. Detail is spot on once again.

Scout Marauder: Engines, a no-nonsense bridge and rear-firing guns. Nice. Would have like more detail on the engines to make it look more "screw aesthetics, I'm built to hit something and live afterwards" and less "I'm made of Lego".

IGS: Mmmm... Makes you wonder if it looks sleek or armoured. Attachments that could be engines or weapons. Totally alien. Good stuff.

Sethdar: Looks like a clunky aged set-up that might have surprising power and agility. Perfect.

Pod: Good.

Ones I don't like:

Freighter: It'd be good if it looked a bit more like a widened cruiser. Engines are too big, nose it too pointy.

CEO Flagship: Looks like it was designed around a payload like a bomber. Flagship needs to give a sense of "This ship is so prestigious that it has meeting rooms in it" or "This is actually a floating mansion with massive engines and weaponry strapped on".

Imperial Starcruiser: This one needs to look more like a massive bridge with somewhere that the photon cannon can fire from. Really nice job on the detail, but really too much of an "I'm sleek!" feel and not enough "You will be crushed through sheer momentum".

Galaxy Whale: Bad. It's supposed to look organic. So something round like a balloon that's stitched together with the only suggestion of a vertex located at the tip of the wings and engines grown into it. Make it look like it lives.

Battleship: Almost what the galaxy whale should look like. The engines on a battleship should look attached to the hull. The bridge should be somewhere near the middle back just behind a massive cannon. Also, more antennae. But nice job on this one though. Paint it green and add clunky bits on each side and it'd be a better barge than the one you have.

Speedster: For some reason, I feel it needs to be unnecessarily big and flashy. It needs to feel like somebody looked at it and thought: this thing isn't going to go fast like it's supposed to, but if I hollow all the unnecessary stuff out, I can fit plenty of cargo in. Your version is what a speedster should be like. Which the Antarean Speedster isn't.
Last edited by NeatLogs on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:54 pm

Based off of feedback...

Garbage Barge

Galaxy Whale

Speedstar

CEO Flagship