[IDEA] Low damage, stackable, low energy missiles.

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

NeatLogs

[IDEA] Low damage, stackable, low energy missiles.

Post by NeatLogs » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:23 am

I'll refer to them as mini rockets in this post.

In any case, it would be nice to have some sort of weaponry that is very low damage and stackable; around 12 in one hardware slot.

The second half of the idea is about energy use, which is a little more involved. I want to have individual mini rockets fire using ridiculously low energy, so that it could be used to help along your real damage dealing primary weapons or nukes. However, I also want to be able to spam all the rockets as quickly as I can press the button, but only at the cost of a whole lot of energy.

So either more energy is used if the second shot is within a certain time limit from the previous shot, or each shot uses that small amount of energy for a period of time, like on the cloak or tractor beam.

One more thing: it would be good if the mini rockets were fast but easily dodged by changing the direction you are going.

Useful for trying to shoot at somebody who you know might run for a warp, getting an edge in the fight by firing while you energy recharges for the real damage to occur.

toast

Post by toast » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:53 pm

hmm i like the idea because of its possible effectiveness for keeping people fomr warping, porting, or landing on a col.

My biggest question is how much energy for one missile/how much for all 12, and how much damage would one/all 12 do.

I feel that all 12 missiles should use slightly more energy then one nuke, and if all 12 hit they should do the same amount of damage. Of course, by firing only one of the 12, 1/12 of t he energy is used, for 1/12 of the damage.

In this case, the amount of energy lost by being hit with one would need to be greater...

ericman

CHea

Post by ericman » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:47 pm

Yea, that would be cool.However..for some players they might call them speed hacking if this was incorporated...think like 100 missiles coming at you...you'd freak out..but ya i like it.

Thavy

Post by Thavy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:07 pm

this sounds simmilar to a missle pod idea that was posted before, Toonces has expressed his opinion on that idea before and has said that it might not work due to it spamming the screen and causing lots of lag

toast

Post by toast » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:05 pm

hmm hadnt thought of the lag issue...i suppose that could be a serious problem.

As to people thinking its hacking...it seems as though evertime anyone wins a 1v1 the loser accuses them of hacking regardless of the fact that the winner may be a top player with lots of skill.

NeatLogs

Post by NeatLogs » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:15 pm

Well, the game doesn't lag all that much when getting fired upon with a peashooter, which would have approximately the same sort of fire rate as a person rapidly spamming a mouse button. So I don't expect it to cause too much of a problem as long as there is a massive smoke trail.

How much energy is lost by the receiving end may need to be worked on. Possibly 120 energy. Damage would be 150 for a direct hit. No damage on an indirect hit. In fact, I want the missile to act as if it were a very fast ship with 0 dex; impossible to outrun, but can feasibly be out-maneuvered.

Amount of energy used for the first shot: 30. Add +12 for every extra missile fired in the last 1.5 seconds.

So if you managed to get off all 12 in 1.5 seconds, you would use 1152 energy, which should be just about all your energy after energy regen. However, you'll do 1800 damage, provided all the missiles hit. It will drain the other person of energy as well.

And since I think these should be on sale at the starbase at 2200 isk for 1 and will have their own graphic, speed hacking accusations shouldn't be a problem.