Nuke residue

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Deathreape98

Nuke residue

Post by Deathreape98 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:48 am

Since nukes in RL are so deadly and devastating, and the residue goes for hundreds of miles, why not have residue in space? It owuld only go a short way because of no atmosphere and no wind, but when you fire a nuke, it leaves a small area where it exploded covered in depleted uranium residue ( or w/e u wana call it). Whenever ANYBODY goes through it, even you or a corpmate, you get minor shield damage, less severe then a mine.

comments?

toast

Post by toast » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:24 am

interesting. I kinda like it. but because the energy from a nuke is radiation it should spread through the entire system in a circle. The most intense damage should be close in to the point of detonation, and should decrease the farther away from the explosion. it should affect everyone in the system, including the shooter, but the shield damage should be minimal...couple hundred shields at most. wont be implemented tho..too much coding and everyone would I love you man! like crazy...

Soccergal

Post by Soccergal » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:26 am

Yeah, its a good idea but I doubt it would ever be implemented. It would take quite a bit of work.

Elemayo

Post by Elemayo » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:42 am

Nukes, and Atomic Bombs are two different things. A-Bombs are devastating and are what get you the Mushroom Cloud effect, Nukes are short for "Nuclear missiles"

duece

Post by duece » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:52 am

Elemayo wrote:Nukes, and Atomic Bombs are two different things. A-Bombs are devastating and are what get you the Mushroom Cloud effect, Nukes are short for "Nuclear missiles"
atomic bombs are a type of nukes (usually referring to the original), but what makes a nuclear missiles nuclear, is it depends on some sort of reaction at the atomic level (be it through fission or fusion), maybe the 'devastating' effects can be reduced, but not completely eliminated.

Elemayo

Post by Elemayo » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:27 am

See the Atom Bomb, was a, get this... "Bomb"

We're shooting missiles :wink:

toast

Post by toast » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:50 am

dude...a missile is just a bomb with its own propulsion...maybe a shaped charge..but it still just a "bomb"

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:32 am

Wrong.
Google missle
then google bomb.
2 doffrent thing :roll:

Turkey

Post by Turkey » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:03 am

Elemayo wrote:Nukes, and Atomic Bombs are two different things.
:lol:
What about nuclear bombs, are they different as well? Heheh.

What we know as nuclear missiles detonate in much the same fashion as what we call nuclear bombs. This usually requires a chain fission reaction of either Uranium-235 or Plutonium-240. Both of these elements are radioactive with long half-lives, and the typical nuclear (or atomic, if you will) explosion tends to vapourise the elements of the bomb and spread it all over the place. Thus there is radioactive fallout, or residue.

In the far distant future, however, this fallout may not be so neccessary. Thermonuclear weapons (which are more powerful, and use fusion of Hydrogen atoms to supply the majority of the blast) may be developed without the need for fissile materials at all. Considering that hundreds of detonations can occur on a planet surface with no long term consequence suggests that this is indeed the case.
Toast wrote:but because the energy from a nuke is radiation it should spread through the entire system in a circle. The most intense damage should be close in to the point of detonation, and should decrease the farther away from the explosion. it should affect everyone in the system, including the shooter, but the shield damage should be minimal...
Now you're talking! :D
Assuming the energy from the explosion spreads evenly in all directions, it would actually spread out in a sphere - Starport is pretending to be a 3D game, after all. In this case, the intensity at any given point follows what physicists call the inverse square law; it's proportional to 1/(r^2) where r is the radial disance from the source.

This wouldn't be difficult to code at all. If anything, it would be simpler than the current damage calculation. The question is whether people are going to like being damaged by their own munitions.

toast

Post by toast » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:31 pm

They most definitly wont...imagine all the people that just nuke the BBQ out of someone, and then go renuke and do it again. That takes the fun out of fighting. With this idea it might balance stuff out a bit, as well as adding some real life stuff to the game...Toonces should like that right?

fireblade211

Post by fireblade211 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:04 pm

i extremly love this

but the thing is, you would most likely be hurt with it second of impact

so to counter this, add a timer set to 10 seconds when the cloud gets bigger

the thing should disapear after about a hour also

Talak.Winstar
Location: In Space, contemplating how exactly to negate the crappy events of OMD and BND story arcs.

Post by Talak.Winstar » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:10 pm

A nerfing-ish, but realistic thing to do with nukes is that when they are fired alot on planets, they can sky-rocket the pollution of a colony on which they are fired, in some cases killing it. Instead of saying, this col got a disaster and was abandoned, they should say: "The colony *such and such* was DESTROYED by *rank* *such and such guy*!!

toast

Post by toast » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:20 pm

realistic..yes. But can u imagine all the people bitching about this? Be impossible to have many cols if you were at war.

Micool

Post by Micool » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:59 pm

That idea is currently being discussed right now in another topic in this forum.

fireblade211

Post by fireblade211 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:01 pm

Micool wrote:That idea is currently being discussed right now in another topic in this forum.
you obviously didnt read

plus this idea was made 1st
plsu the idea your thinking of is completly gay

now shut up if u have to say something gay like that

Micool

Post by Micool » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:04 pm

Pointless dissing is gay. Shut up til you have something useful to say. And maybe grow nuts in the meantime. And I didnt mean the idea of nuke residue in the system, I meant this idea:
they can sky-rocket the pollution of a colony on which they are fired, in some cases killing it.

fireblade211

Post by fireblade211 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:07 pm

then why the hell are you talking about a different idea in a different forum?

mr mother love!

Micool

Post by Micool » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:09 pm

Im ignoring you till you get sense and balls.

Deathreape98

Post by Deathreape98 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:21 pm

can a mod delete the last 4 posts?

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:40 pm

I wish mods could make people smarter :roll:

Nightmare

Talak.Winstar
Location: In Space, contemplating how exactly to negate the crappy events of OMD and BND story arcs.

Post by Talak.Winstar » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:59 pm

I think the intelligent posts stopped after mine and that one other guy's objectiong to making nukes more real? :shock:

Deathreape98

Post by Deathreape98 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:08 am

Well if this is just a spam thread with no intelligence, ill post this in the idea thread since most of the people aggreed with it, with...uhhh who suggested it? where it spreads out in a cirlce

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:01 am

If they made nukes more realistic then the shock wave from the nukes would go on forever, there is nothing to stop them in the vaccume of space exept solid obects.
So it would fill the whole system.

feenix
Location: Join the SGE community in TeamSpeak, url: ygss.dyndns.org

Post by feenix » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:20 am

toast wrote:realistic..yes. But can u imagine all the people bitching about this? Be impossible to have many cols if you were at war.
i want to start by saying this topic has kinda started turning into a different discusion but whatever. i really love the idea, this would be a realistic and fairly easy to implement, altho i don't think they will implement it soon, as for what toast was saying he does has a point, you could easly kill someone else cols if you were at war and wanted to retaliate for example if he invaded your favorite col, just by landing shooting as many nukes as you can and then coming back with more nukes to make the pollution raise very high, of course there is still the fact that there needs to be several disaster before a col will die. but still, this side effect would be used quite often, i can see in my head plp posting, for the fact they don't understand that before they left there was 0% pollution and now when they log in the next morning the planet has become a dead dome and they have been killed because they were on a dead dome. altho the idea is wanderfull and i love it a lot, i wish it was implemented but i am just giving a realistic point of view here :wink: :lol:

Nightmare wrote:I wish mods could make people smarter :roll:

Nightmare
if that was the case, then i would ask them to make everyone in the world smart but sadly :cry: it's impossible :(
Stklr wrote:If they made nukes more realistic then the shock wave from the nukes would go on forever, there is nothing to stop them in the vaccume of space exept solid obects.
So it would fill the whole system.
oi oi oi oi oi hell no, could you imagine the consenquenses, this means anyone in the system inclusing your corpmembers if they were low on shields they would be killed, this would kinda beat the purposes of coming to rescue :lol: lol

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:25 am

Then dont make it realistic.

feenix

Post by feenix » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:30 am

Stklr wrote:Then dont make it realistic.
lol you or should i say we can, just to a certain point :wink:
Last edited by feenix on Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:30 am

This is an absolutely terrible Idea both of them

Referring to the original idea this would completely hug up fighting, this is the kind of idea that would be suggested by someone who doesn't have nukes, but nukes are very easy to come by and some day when you have them you will realize just how horrible this idea is.

Nukes are an invaluable part of this game, without them fighting and invading suck balls. what ur proposing would screw over everyone, the peaceful people would limit their nuking and get bored, and the violent people wouldn't care and screw over everyone else.

Please will some real players come back me up on this, it has far too much support and im positive 90% of the community feels the same as me

as for the second idea, suggested by talak I think, that's horrible too, we want to speed up PvP and invasions not slow them down.... !!!!!!

feenix

Post by feenix » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:33 am

Jwilson6 wrote:This is an absolutely terrible Idea both of them

Referring to the original idea this would completely hug up fighting, this is the kind of idea that would be suggested by someone who doesn't have nukes, but nukes are very easy to come by and some day when you have them you will realize just how horrible this idea is.

Nukes are an invaluable part of this game, without them fighting and invading suck balls. what ur proposing would screw over everyone, the peaceful people would limit their nuking and get bored, and the violent people wouldn't care and screw over everyone else.

Please will some real players come back me up on this, it has far too much support and im positive 90% of the community feels the same as me

as for the second idea, suggested by talak I think, that's horrible too, we want to speed up PvP and invasions not slow them down.... !!!!!!
lol on the server i play our corp is the top 1st nuke providing corp, we have about over 300 thousand nukes but those numbers are old (prob over 400thousand now), but who's counting anyway :lol:

and btw everyone so far likes the idea so.........

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:35 am

I dont like it.
If I dont like it its a bad idea :wink:

feenix

Post by feenix » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:42 am

oh ok, actually i remembered something about nukes the blast isn't stopped because of buildings and such it is stopped because the blast is too far of the core of the explosion for the blast to stay strong so it eventually dies off, i read somewhere that a gallon of jet fuel could have a blast zone of a mile (talking radius here).

why not making the blast zone of a nuke that size, if we are gonna make them realistic i mean? one mile would be about 1/32 of the entire system about may be the size of 3 or 4 ships wide.