[IDEA] Roman Numerals Beneath Planets in Space

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Dax

[IDEA] Roman Numerals Beneath Planets in Space

Post by Dax » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:20 pm

Why? Because it will help identify planets while using Neutrino Scanners. Why is this important? Because a player can spend many minutes trying to figure out which planet correlates to what their scanners say. This would be a big help for builders. Any thoughts?

Orange

Re: [IDEA] Roman Numerals Beneath Planets in Space

Post by Orange » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:37 pm

Yeah I think this is a really good idea! Maybe when u get close to a col it appears?

avitohol

Post by avitohol » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:36 pm

Screw builders they get everything.

However this is also an awesome idea for just about anyone that plays the game. So many have been the time when one has scanned a system and found multiple 3k planets, only to discover compounds mines :*( . But yeah would make life easier for all.

If it can't be implemented below the planets. Maybe have it in the galaxy and/or mini map. Or like a tab in the mini-map. Hell I'd even be happy with some Roman numerals slapped in the middle of the planet.

+1 from avi

Grubby

Post by Grubby » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:17 pm

This is a really, REALLY good idea.

Caia

Post by Caia » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:39 am

This is a fantastic idea.

omlow

Post by omlow » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:18 am

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!1!

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:27 pm

I've really got nothing against this I guess but how can it take minutes to calculate? You just count the rings and you're done. Never had an issue with this myself.

avitohol

Post by avitohol » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:24 pm

MuTAnT wrote:I've really got nothing against this I guess but how can it take minutes to calculate? You just count the rings and you're done. Never had an issue with this myself.

You sir are not a stoner!!

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:14 am

Rofl, touché!

808gage

Post by 808gage » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:20 pm

This would be a very nice feature indeed!

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:27 am

avitohol wrote:
MuTAnT wrote:I've really got nothing against this I guess but how can it take minutes to calculate? You just count the rings and you're done. Never had an issue with this myself.

You sir are not a stoner!!
Post of the year.

Luna

Post by Luna » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:57 am

Certainly wouldn't hurt newer players to have this tool. When I started I constantly went to the wrong planets based off of neutrino scans. Took me awhile to do it correctly on systems where there were tons of planets.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:05 am

pretty good idea :)

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:10 pm

Toonces wrote:pretty good idea :)

Kasonia-

Post by Kasonia- » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:01 am

Terrible idea, would make it just that much easier to invade colonies let alone having negs in ports now, wish this game required skill again rather than, who can stay on the longest! Dont be lazy and count

LordSturm

Post by LordSturm » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:07 pm

Kasonia- wrote:Terrible idea, would make it just that much easier to invade colonies let alone having negs in ports now, wish this game required skill again rather than, who can stay on the longest! Dont be lazy and count
you high again?

theres always one person with outrage to a common sense and good idea, congrats.

Kasonia-

Post by Kasonia- » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:34 am

how is making the game easier for lazy donkey invaders a good idea? Negs in ports is enough lol, so is surface missiles on any ship other than a vulture sorry but lets try to keep this game a challenge
Kasonia

Kasonia-

Post by Kasonia- » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:35 am

Luna wrote:Certainly wouldn't hurt newer players to have this tool. When I started I constantly went to the wrong planets based off of neutrino scans. Took me awhile to do it correctly on systems where there were tons of planets.
Why because, it takes time to develope skills that is why
<3 Kasonia

LordSturm

Post by LordSturm » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:22 pm

Kasonia- wrote:how is making the game easier for lazy donkey invaders a good idea? Negs in ports is enough lol, so is surface missiles on any ship other than a vulture sorry but lets try to keep this game a challenge
Kasonia

im pretty sure reducing the time it takes to actually find the planet your scanners are indicating has weight to it by 5 seconds isnt going to "tip the balance of the game"

are you even thinking about your posts anymore?

also i would imagine the "challenging" part of the game was not supposed to be counting to 8.

Luna

Post by Luna » Sat May 19, 2012 6:47 pm

Still a great idea, that won't hurt gameplay but will make it easier for newer players. It's not what I would call an advantage, but simply makes it less likely to make errors when scanning/landing. Nothing like landing on the wrong planet and warning everyone where you're at if you happen to be invading someone else in a shared system.

I like Avithols idea, slap those numbers right on the planet. No one looks at the outside of a planet for anything other than to identify the type.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Wed May 30, 2012 2:25 am

Luna wrote:I like Avithols idea, slap those numbers right on the planet. No one looks at the outside of a planet for anything other than to identify the type.
I think it would look nicer as a label outside the planet graphic area

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Wed May 30, 2012 3:02 am

Toonces wrote:
Luna wrote:I like Avithols idea, slap those numbers right on the planet. No one looks at the outside of a planet for anything other than to identify the type.

Why do you need to make the game idiot-proof? New players need to learn the basics of the game, including counting the rings in a solar system.....I can't tell you how many arti's I lost cause I didn't realize the rings could be counted. Instead of counting the rings I would waste time going on every single planet in the system looking for arti's while another player with the same goal would warp in and know exactly what planet to land on :)

This is a non issue and should be treated as such, there are much more important problems that need to be fixed before this idea is even considered.

avitohol

Post by avitohol » Wed May 30, 2012 4:07 am

WeGotDeathStar wrote:
Toonces wrote:

Why do you need to make the game idiot-proof? New players need to learn the basics of the game, including counting the rings in a solar system.....I can't tell you how many arti's I lost cause I didn't realize the rings could be counted. Instead of counting the rings I would waste time going on every single planet in the system looking for arti's while another player with the same goal would warp in and know exactly what planet to land on :)

This is a non issue and should be treated as such, there are much more important problems that need to be fixed before this idea is even considered.
I think people are forgetting the thin line between convenience and making the game easier. That window that opens a minimap to connecting systems is a convenience (I haven't used it this time round, but before it used to be a very important when getting chased). Adding contractors is making the game easier. Both are part of the game, but have different functions.

Main thing being, that its convenience that wins over new players. Being able to minimise the learning curve ever so slightly to keep someone's attention. Which seems to be a problem, since there's pretty much no-one actively teaching newer players at this moment. Give me a Mcgrod over 100 of the vets playing this game.

As for the significance of such a change. Smaller changes are easier to implement. They also give a better insight into where a game might be going. Hell i'd go as far as to say this is a tweak. And here's a little secret, its those that seem to keep developers away from ground-breaking changes, that people might not like.

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Wed May 30, 2012 12:49 pm

To me counting rings is a basic fundamental of this game, whats next....we get rid of planet drag so new players don't have to learn the skill of invading different type of planets? Last time i checked when you invade you have to adjust your technique of shooting nukes on different planet types.

Among other things putting roman numerals under the planets is a convenience for us players that have played for some time but I see it causing problems. Remember at some point in time we got lag in the systems from laser cannons and mines. Adding more to a system may cause this problem to come back then the game needs to be patched 10 times to correct it. A lot of the times the small tweaks end up causing the most problems for everyone.

I agree that we have a shortage of people to train new players but we have moderators/teachers on the servers that don't have the skills to be deemed "teachers". A-C-E was made a teacher and had his title removed for some stupid baby nonsense. A-C-E is more then qualified to teach new players but instead we end up with people that buy the most tokens getting teacher status. Remember when we have noobs teaching noobs the game does not get better, it gets worse. Find some of the older players to teach, give them a token bonus per player taught, for example if someone trains a new player then the new player can leave some sort of review or feedback to Toonces and tokens will be given out.

Manilla

Post by Manilla » Thu May 31, 2012 8:54 am

i'm against this for a few reasons

1 - i feel it would be cheesy to see numbers in space jsut floating there without a beacon. (where are they coming from?)
2 - in large cluster orbits where there are 5-6 planets so tight that a few are overlapping it would just be impossible to read.
3 - it's not really nessicary when all you have to do is count rings and know a=1 b=2 etc.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:59 pm

Well, we now have the mouse-over labels for the planets, how is that working out? Should we show some labels as well right in space when you get near it for the first time?

BarbaraWalters

Post by BarbaraWalters » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:52 am

Toonces wrote:Well, we now have the mouse-over labels for the planets, how is that working out? Should we show some labels as well right in space when you get near it for the first time?
I don't see any labels when I mouse-over a planet

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:08 am

Did you look at your status text line that appears above the chat area?

duece

Post by duece » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:00 pm

It only works when you have the autopilot cursor, if you have the regular mouse it doesn't do it.

adrogers440

Post by adrogers440 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:17 am

You already get to see Roman Numerals when you land on the colony, what more do you want? Just zoom in on your mini map and count up to ten. I think the game is setup fine in this regard.