Is popularity all that gains you respect here?

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

-PLAGUE-

Post by -PLAGUE- » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:44 am

I've noticed a lot of things in the game, don't matter to other players.

Experience, doesn't seem to matter because a great player could be starting out and have none while a worse player can exp whore.
Also noone respects anyone with experience on perma's claiming that it doesn't matter.
Experience on rebangs doesn't seem to gain you any respect either, people simply say there is no competition in rebangs.

Rep, just simply doesn't mean a damn thing.

Achievement points apparently don't mean anything because everyone says, and is right about. A players ability to just log into every bang in the game, and get a large amount of free achievement, repeat and even the biggest noob can surpass most people.

In most cases due to our low player base, even when someone works their but off to invade, or build followers nowadays, excuses are made that there's no competition on the server, because of the lack of active players, as most servers are. Or claim they could be bought, etc.

So if not for simply being around a long time, and being well known. There doesn't seem to be any way of getting respect within the limits of the game from anyone.

And you know where as in real life, popularity doesn't mean much of anything. It seems to be the main thing driving starport, the more often you play, and the longer. The better well known you are, the more respect, or disrespect you get for it.

lol it's kinda funny that it really does seem like unless you spend years here you won't get much of anything out of the game, because if not for the respect of the starport community, why would anyone bother playing?

MutedJazz

Re: Is popularity all that gains you respect here?

Post by MutedJazz » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:06 am

I lack respect, skill, and popularity.

Poor Jazz.

Dax

Post by Dax » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:13 am

Being a badass also gains you respect. I once knew a player named Hustle'n'Ball, probably long LONG gone from sge by now, who, back in the day, was known for having the title of Veteran invader. And that title was well earned. He could cap hard and fast. It didn't matter who his enemy was. Once he decided to invade you he was a one man army that was quite difficult to defend against. He was small and hidden while you were a big target.

Hustle isn't even spoken of anymore I think he only played on Golden Age before it was taken down years ago, but I remember him.

High level of invasion skill and doing things no one else can as easily as you make it seem gains you respect here.

Myself personally, I'm one of the top builders around. Give me time, and resources (and a pinch of determination to build a large follower base single handedly) and I can and will colonize, build & defend and turn into powerhouses in mere months. A few who know me online can attest to this.

But hey, to each his own.

MastrIan

Post by MastrIan » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:18 am

Dax wrote:Being a badass also gains you respect. I once knew a player named Hustle'n'Ball, probably long LONG gone from sge by now, who, back in the day, was known for having the title of Veteran invader.
I've never seen so much FAIL, he was a horrible invader who just ran his mouth a lot, he often got crushed by people who just learned to drop nuke that same month.

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:52 am

MastrIan wrote:
Dax wrote:Being a badass also gains you respect. I once knew a player named Hustle'n'Ball, probably long LONG gone from sge by now, who, back in the day, was known for having the title of Veteran invader.
I've never seen so much FAIL, he was a horrible invader who just ran his mouth a lot, he often got crushed by people who just learned to drop nuke that same month.

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:24 pm

MutedJazz wrote:I lack respect, skill, and popularity.

Poor Jazz.
:(

-PLAGUE-

Post by -PLAGUE- » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:43 pm

awesomepebble wrote:
MutedJazz wrote:I lack respect, skill, and popularity.

Poor Jazz.
:(
I respect you, your one of the few people who really don't flame posts at all, your caps in the video showed you have some skill. And your in The Empire on dmj, your popular with meh anyway :P

mcdfatty

Post by mcdfatty » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:45 pm

I am the most popular person on StarportGE!!!! I win :mrgreen:

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:12 pm

Having a powerful image is immensely important. I'm proof of that.

Daven

Post by Daven » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:16 pm

MadAce wrote:Having a powerful image is immensely important. I'm proof of that.
who are you?

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:27 am

Daven wrote:
who are you?
More people have heard of MadAce than Daven

Just saying

I never played on any server MadAce did

but I know who he is and what he's like

who are you, Daven?

MadAce's image is huge.. i don't even know if hes good at Starport, but he's well known because he projects his image and has been doing so for years.

-PLAGUE-

Post by -PLAGUE- » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:32 am

Saber-Fury wrote:
Daven wrote:
who are you?

Just saying

who are you, Daven?

MadAce's image is huge.. i don't even know if hes good at Starport, but he's well known because he projects his image and has been doing so for years.
MadAce played once upon a time, since then it would appear that he's taken a good plenty of philosophy classes, and now trolls the forums with words of intelligence derived from his online dictionary on his other tab. :P

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:35 pm

Cloud1 wrote:
Saber-Fury wrote:

Just saying

who are you, Daven?

Don't see why he even posts here. I don't know a person who stays on a game forum and quit the game years ago.
One reason is the SGE film project. (now that it's out of the hat I might as well come clean)

Another reason is that I quite like the off-topic forums of SGE. (I mostly post there)

The last reason is that I'm genuinely interested in how SGE does. It's my pet game, even if I hadn't had real time to game in years.

As for the image of MadAce... It's quite frankly a work of art. I've been addressed as the dev of SGE even if I wasn't. I've been recognized in other games and mmo's. Even people who've known me in RL and who also played SGE have been influenced by MadAce, even if that's just a fake persona.

It was a lot of work, but well worth it.

I'm like the Apple of SGE. Bloated crap, overly expensive, not powerful or skilled at all, but people are mostly in awe.

-PLAGUE-

Post by -PLAGUE- » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:09 pm

MadAce wrote:
Cloud1 wrote:
Saber-Fury wrote:

Just saying

who are you, Daven?

Don't see why he even posts here. I don't know a person who stays on a game forum and quit the game years ago.
One reason is the SGE film project. (now that it's out of the hat I might as well come clean)

Another reason is that I quite like the off-topic forums of SGE. (I mostly post there)

The last reason is that I'm genuinely interested in how SGE does. It's my pet game, even if I hadn't had real time to game in years.

As for the image of MadAce... It's quite frankly a work of art. I've been addressed as the dev of SGE even if I wasn't. I've been recognized in other games and mmo's. Even people who've known me in RL and who also played SGE have been influenced by MadAce, even if that's just a fake persona.

It was a lot of work, but well worth it.

I'm like the Apple of SGE. Bloated crap, overly expensive, not powerful or skilled at all, but people are mostly in awe.
I've never met anyone so full of themselves.. except maybe.. yeah maybe bardock.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:20 pm

-PLAGUE- wrote:
MadAce wrote:
I've never met anyone so full of themselves.. except maybe.. yeah maybe bardock.
Without the ego there wouldn't be the effect there is.

People almost always mistake confidence for competence.

You're the prime example. You mistake fake bravado for actual ego.
Last edited by MadAce on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeb

Post by Jeb » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:41 pm

Fact is, most of us are all just a bunch of players who've stuck through Starport thick and thin. We know where we stand with eachother. People who've supported you in time of need you respect. People who have made it hard to play, you don't. I wish the player base was a better society and I WISH that it was different than it is, but sge is just gradually dying, patch after patch. People see no need to respect eachother because when people talk BBQ, do they back it up? Nine times out of ten, no they don't. Because - and don't get me wrong, still a ton of good players left, but - the majority of "Veteran" players, don't play anymore. Yes, I respect people (Newbies included) if they prove themselves, but it seems like nowadays everybody just acts like your friend and when the greatest opportunity arises, they've just been waiting in the brush to dick you over. I've no illusions about people in this game, or just in general. We're a greedy species. Someone feeds us, we take it and don't say thank you, then as soon as we can, we hug that someone over. Starport is exactly the same. I mean let's kick the ballistics here. What does a colony, just a figment from a video game, matter to us. Physically, not a thing*. Mentally, it can mean a lot. Some of you will say "What do the people matter then? Since it's all just over the internet, it doesn't mean jack BBQ", and I 'spose that's true.

The theme, the moral of the story, the climactic end to this post, if you will, is basically this: Don't look for respect on the internet, because it's nonexistent here.

*Actually a new international trade law is being enacted to allow online assets to be of value. (i.e.) a player who took a planet by hacking (or other method) could be prosecuted by law, but that's beside the point.

-PLAGUE-

Post by -PLAGUE- » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:00 pm

Eww you messed up the quote and made me look concieted :(

Well perhaps it is all a show, perhaps it is only competence, perhaps even the Image of MadAce is controlled by a three hundred fifty pound alter-ego gaming nerd named Lenny, but it doesn't really make a difference whom mistakes which adjectives for others, because it isn't really the person we are talking about, it is the image of MadAce, and the image of MadAce, just so happens to have an ego so large if it got any bigger it might cause the simultaneous supernova of every star in the universe and destroy life as Anyone knows it.

-PLAGUE-

Post by -PLAGUE- » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:09 pm

Jeb wrote:Fact is, most of us are all just a bunch of players who've stuck through Starport thick and thin. We know where we stand with eachother. People who've supported you in time of need you respect. People who have made it hard to play, you don't. I wish the player base was a better society and I WISH that it was different than it is, but sge is just gradually dying, patch after patch. People see no need to respect eachother because when people talk BBQ, do they back it up? Nine times out of ten, no they don't. Because - and don't get me wrong, still a ton of good players left, but - the majority of "Veteran" players, don't play anymore. Yes, I respect people (Newbies included) if they prove themselves, but it seems like nowadays everybody just acts like your friend and when the greatest opportunity arises, they've just been waiting in the brush to dick you over. I've no illusions about people in this game, or just in general. We're a greedy species. Someone feeds us, we take it and don't say thank you, then as soon as we can, we hug that someone over. Starport is exactly the same. I mean let's kick the ballistics here. What does a colony, just a figment from a video game, matter to us. Physically, not a thing*. Mentally, it can mean a lot. Some of you will say "What do the people matter then? Since it's all just over the internet, it doesn't mean jack BBQ", and I 'spose that's true.

The theme, the moral of the story, the climactic end to this post, if you will, is basically this: Don't look for respect on the internet, because it's nonexistent here.

*Actually a new international trade law is being enacted to allow online assets to be of value. (i.e.) a player who took a planet by hacking (or other method) could be prosecuted by law, but that's beside the point.

You are right for the most part, I remember I watched on this history channel. A man who once wrote a book on the truth of humanity, and its greedy nature. He was victimized for it, by everyone around him they hated him for admitting to the world the truth humanities dirty little secret and I believe he was either lynched, burned or banished from his community.

But on the other hand, that isn't completely true, because I've met a great deal of people over Starport, and in games in general that I've become great friends with. My buddy lowell I met through Call Of Duty, then I met him in real life, and though he now lives two states away he is one of my best friends.

Given of course on starport, the only people most of the community will take interest in, are the people that present an opportunity. They only consume themselves in a friendship with someone who either, has something they want, or can help them get it.

However the more intelligent people, the more sophisticated of the starport community. Knows all to well that no matter how hard you try, or how much you accomplish, the only accomplishment that matters or sticks is that of a successful friendship.

A game after all is a place where people meet to play, and meet others and make friends. This in starports case has been spoiled by the lack of players, the less players, the more ability to be recognized, the less new people there are to even meet, contributes to the essence of greed itself.

When all of the fun is had, and there is noone you don't know, there is only one thing in a game left to do, unfortunately in our case that means get to the top and be recognized in whatever way that you can.

So, I believe that this post has made it impeccably clear that the root of all evil is indeed greed.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:30 pm

popularity is a poor term for this. its called politics. and yes, it is a skill.

gamanche

Post by gamanche » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:49 pm

its peope who run there mouth on a 2d space game that dont get respect on the game, including yourself plague, ive seen you being pretty ignorant to people on servers for no reason, but its people that play the game without being d.ouche bags that earn the respect.

for example, blitzkrieg.. i have respect for a lot of people there but im starting to lose respect for "4fun" because all he does is talk trash to his teammates in a game, even when they are winning, if you repsect other people, they respect you back, thats how i see it

-PLAGUE-

Post by -PLAGUE- » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:07 am

gamanche wrote:its peope who run there mouth on a 2d space game that dont get respect on the game, including yourself plague, ive seen you being pretty ignorant to people on servers for no reason, but its people that play the game without being d.ouche bags that earn the respect.

for example, blitzkrieg.. i have respect for a lot of people there but im starting to lose respect for "4fun" because all he does is talk trash to his teammates in a game, even when they are winning, if you repsect other people, they respect you back, thats how i see it
We were trying to have an intelligent argument/conversation here Gamanche, but I see your post relies solely on insulting others as usual. Quite hypocritical to be honest. Yes there are people I dislike, mostly cocky people who beat the donkey out of newbies and demand respect for ruling over dead servers. There are a great many people I have no respect for, those people tend to do the trash talking before I ever get started.

For example, I once logged into hercules cluster to clean a colony that was about to die, and I ran across Redeyejedi and A-c-e building in their arm. So simply because it's the means of the game I decided to fight Redeye, whom I dropped to 0% shields, who was also In a much better ship, much faster and more agile than myself, not to mention who had a corpie in system. After I left the system he instantaneously began spouting off insults, and making excuses. To which I replied nothing at all other than, don't complain.

After listening to him moan for a good ten minutes about how unfair the fight was and how "Noob" it was of me to try to kill him and then drive off while him and his corpie were renuking, I ignored him. And even though I ignored him he continued ranting in shouts to every player online, it's a wonder he had any fcc left, but I suppose Ace was cheering him.

About a half an hour later, someone randomly /t's me saying: Are you going to take that from them?" Indicating that still, they were talking trash, and I had only said one thing, don't complain.

So about an hour after everything had happened, I went up to pb to defend a colony from someone, killed him and recapped the colony, only to find many flaks, to realize he was a builder just looking for someplace out of the way to stake a claim, and after I killed him he simply said, that was a good fight and /saluted me. and seeing as how he was so cool about it as opposed to redeye, i gave him 30mil and every colony I had in that region to build with and left.

So as you can see I don't simply go around ranting bitching and moaning at everyone in starport, and I don't blatenly disrespect anyone in the game. If somehow they made me angry enough to bother to justify their idiocy with a response, then you can trust that they have well earned it.

gamanche

Post by gamanche » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:08 am

i only say my opinion about respect, and throw alittle word out there called ignorant, of which you can be at times. not all the time. so dont take it as a HUGE insult or something, there are a lot of ignorant people on starport

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:51 am

Wish Bardock had respect, /cutwrists.

MutedJazz

Post by MutedJazz » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:15 am

BardockSGE wrote:Wish Bardock had respect, /cutwrists.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooo-

/breath

ooooooooooooooooo-

/breath
ooooooooooooooooo-

/breath

eh, good riddance.

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:21 am

MutedJazz wrote:
BardockSGE wrote:Wish Bardock had respect, /cutwrists.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooo-

/breath

ooooooooooooooooo-

/breath
ooooooooooooooooo-

/breath

eh, good riddance.
Rofl, hug you I love you man!.

MutedJazz

Post by MutedJazz » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:26 am

BardockSGE wrote: Rofl, hug you I love you man!.
If a hug is all you need to be happy... then yessir.

/hug bardock

/shower

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:49 am

MutedJazz wrote:
BardockSGE wrote: Rofl, hug you I love you man!.
If a hug is all you need to be happy... then yessir.

/hug bardock

/shower
Shower first then hug me, sweaty donkey! I don't do sweaty hugs. Sometimes with major..

Bartimaeus

Post by Bartimaeus » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:53 pm

If you want to be respected without being nice to others you need to be reallllll good at this game. ;)

Major

Post by Major » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:25 pm

Hell no! I got a tee-shirt too.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:52 pm

Major wrote:Is popularity all that gains you respect here?

Hell no! I got a tee-shirt too.
You have an SGE themed T-Shirt? I'll buy it from you. How much?