Admirals Club

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Luna

Admirals Club

Post by Luna » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:12 pm

What items in the Admirals Club do you find of no use?

What items do you find useful?

Please distinguish between use in Perms and in Rebangs.

Also what items would you LIKE to see able to be purchased in the Admirals Club?

Major

Re: Admirals Club

Post by Major » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:00 pm

Im iffy on (perma) arti's in the club...but if it helps the game then I'm all for it.

I think a link to the post in research lab is appropriate. im far too lazy to link it however. ...but it did discuss this eloquently.

EDIT: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18569

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:04 pm

Everything in Admiral's has *some* use, but there are a few items that are more useful than others

- nukes are almost completely worthless unless you're in dire need. These would be way better if we went back to the old system of being able to buy them anywhere in the galaxy

- the IGS used to be a good value, but I feel that it's a bad deal now. I'm not sure if it got nerfed in one patch or over the course of several patches, but I wouldn't use an IGS even if it was free. The only use I feel it has would be as a starting ship in extended rebangs or in blitzkrieg

- Fuel is probably the most useful item in Admiral's club. I don't know any statistics on purchases, but I would have to assume that 90% of all tokens are spent on fuel.

- corping all planets? 100 tokens per planet? holy smokes that's a rip-off

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:14 pm

Barefoot wrote:Everything in Admiral's has *some* use, but there are a few items that are more useful than others

- nukes are almost completely worthless unless you're in dire need. These would be way better if we went back to the old system of being able to buy them anywhere in the galaxy

- the IGS used to be a good value, but I feel that it's a bad deal now. I'm not sure if it got nerfed in one patch or over the course of several patches, but I wouldn't use an IGS even if it was free. The only use I feel it has would be as a starting ship in extended rebangs or in blitzkrieg

- Fuel is probably the most useful item in Admiral's club. I don't know any statistics on purchases, but I would have to assume that 90% of all tokens are spent on fuel.

100% agreed, make the Corp all feature take like 20 tokens per col, makethe it's have more shields (idk w/e), and maybe boost the fuel like 3 tokens per.

-nox-

Post by -nox- » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:46 pm

I think in general the only two things people actually spent tokes on is:

warp fuel

IG ships

The cash you get for your tokens is just ridiculously low. This is not necessary a bad thing as it allows token trades between players, but really, I can't see the point of the cash for tokens option of the admirals club at the current rate. As mentioned above nukes also became significantly less useful to buy when they were changed, which, again, is not necessarily a bad thing because it really made spacefights more fair, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't hurt the token sales.

Anyways, so, how to improve it? Well, one of the ways certain (browser) games make money is to basically make nearly everything buyable with money. For starport this would mean being able to buy colonists, resources, artifacts, any ship, defenses etc. with the admirals club. Obviously some things like being able to buy experience and shields would be horrible ideas, but if done correctly I can see this work, but then again, it's rather late and...some other stuff.

Right. Well anyway, perhaps I'm not the best person to ask this as I'm not known to token...ever...but there you go.

a good tutorial to make sure people that come in, stay in would be lovely too...just saying. You know...

I'll just edit this tomorrow

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:49 pm

Barefoot wrote:Everything in Admiral's has *some* use, but there are a few items that are more useful than others

absolutely agree.

Luna

Post by Luna » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:31 am

Things I think are outdated or under used from Admirals Club.

1. Nukes are a waste if you have to be at a base to get them. If I'm gonna buy them I want them anywhere I want, on demand. Handy in a fight, more handy for immediate invasion.

2. Credits. This feature is under used because you don't really get enough bang for the buck.

3. IG ship. This once epic ship, is now left to be used only on Extended rebangs. The CEO ship does more and costs less. Give this ship a overhaul...more cargo, more weapons slots, or reduce the price to $5.00

4. Corp all colonies. Currently if you have an Empire this feature is too expensive to use. Lower the price.

I'd like to also see tokens able to be used for: These will work for Rebangs and Perms

1. Any sort of custom ship colors, keep it simple to code, but unique. I don't care...polka dots, stripes, flames, different colors.

2. Any sort of Avatar mix and match. Use the current ones but allow ANY of the options to be combined. It would be nice to have a couple more female options.

3. Lots of people would like to be able to Move poorly placed domes, or remove dead domes.

4. Why not let people buy domes, defenses and nukes with tokens from the Admirals Club? This could be fun. I remember token nukes were available, and I remember quite a few players that used them in a pinch.

5. Make the IG ship better or cheaper.
It's not as "special" since the CEO holds more cargo space and more weapons space. If no changes to it, then lower the price to $5.00.

6. Artifacts for tokens. (Perms). If you allow this on a rebang, then the price would have to be reflective of the amount of time the rebang lasts. You could also use them like Blitz. Purchase them for a specific period of time.

7. Upgrades to some of the lesser used artifacts. Make the oracle, necklace and pulsator more special.

8. How about being able to change research? If you get poor research use tokens to "jett" the lot and start over. How many times do you have a GREAT layout, and crap research?

Most other games have nearly everything available for a price. Toonces just needs to give us things to buy, and reasons to want them, and it will happen. I'll think of some other things later.

SnakeEyes

Post by SnakeEyes » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:50 pm

Luna wrote:Things I think are outdated or under used from Admirals Club.

1. Nukes are a waste if you have to be at a base to get them. If I'm gonna buy them I want them anywhere I want, on demand. Handy in a fight, more handy for immediate invasion.

2. Credits. This feature is under used because you don't really get enough bang for the buck.
/disagree. For 4k tokens worth of cash you could get a head start in any rebang. True, it's worthless in perma's.

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Post by CrazyChef » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:58 am

Honestly, I'm guessing the flood of tokens into the game from permas closing isn't helping the sales of tokes.

zanth

Post by zanth » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:00 pm

CrazyChef wrote:Honestly, I'm guessing the flood of tokens into the game from permas closing isn't helping the sales of tokes.
Even if it is helping there is no way it will last something has to be done. just like luna said most other games have everything for sale so toonces should do the same then even if one person uses the items it still helps the cause it couldn't hurt anything could it.

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Post by CrazyChef » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:21 pm

zanth wrote:
CrazyChef wrote:Honestly, I'm guessing the flood of tokens into the game from permas closing isn't helping the sales of tokes.
Even if it is helping there is no way it will last something has to be done. just like luna said most other games have everything for sale so toonces should do the same then even if one person uses the items it still helps the cause it couldn't hurt anything could it.

I said it isn't helping

Yes it could drive out several players that can not compete with spending 100k tokens a month! Other games aren't structured like this one, or at least the ones I've seen.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:17 pm

I understand the importance of token sales, but I don't think EVERYTHING should be available for tokens. I remember someone tried to bribe me with 100k tokens to betray my friends, and when I pointed out his lack of power, he said he's willing to spend $1000 on this game, and has already spent 100, he said this fact alone makes him the most powerful person on the server. You want these people running the game through their wallets?

Luna

Post by Luna » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:32 am

If superior ships, or items not normally in the game were available with tokens then I could see it unbalancing the game. I think fun items, and items of convenience would provide variety without unbalancing the game in the process. Not everything should be should be available with tokens, just enough items to make them more desirable.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:44 am

we need the IG to be better. and I agree to all of Lunas ideas.

Why not be allowed to by artis on permas like on blitz? he can just copy and paste and fiddle the code yes?

Daven

Post by Daven » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:13 am

The current admirals club is made for rebangs, not for permas. the only useful thing on permas is warp fuel, and maybe the igs if you have too many tokens to use...