---The New Blitzkreig Game Fails. Ask anybody. -MUST READ---

General discussion of anything Starport related

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Jeb

---The New Blitzkreig Game Fails. Ask anybody. -MUST READ---

Post by Jeb » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:25 am

Everyone thinks the new Blitz game fails so please change it back to no-free for all. Seriously, 37 people were on today (5:23 PM Pacific, second game of American Blitz today) and 34 of them said it "Failed" "Sucked" "Not a fair game" "I love puppies" or "Totally hugged". PLEASE dear God make Toonces realize that this is a fail game mode. Anyways, please comment to attract Toonces attention to this obvious problem.

-------------------CHANGE THE GAME FOR BETTER, NOT WORSE---------------------------

Daven

Re: ---The New Blitzkreig Game Fails. Ask anybody. -MUST REA

Post by Daven » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:29 am

ur just mad cause u lost because u didn't look at the map for more then a second...

Jeb

Post by Jeb » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:39 am

Yeah I'm a little mad, but not about that. It's messed up, and the two-team way was fine as it was.

awesomepebble

Post by awesomepebble » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:55 am

Daven wrote:ur just mad cause u lost because u didn't look at the map for more then a second...

salligator

Post by salligator » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:02 am

This method probably draws in more tokens sales so... good luck convincing him to change it.

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:39 am

Blitz is great.. jeb is just mad he lost too :roll:

-PLAGUE-

Post by -PLAGUE- » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:59 am

new blitz is much better, and im not a fan of blitz at all. so yessum.

-nox-

Post by -nox- » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:33 am

Jeb wrote:Everyone thinks the new Blitz game fails (...). Seriously, 37 people were on today (...) and 34 of them said it "Failed" (...).
37 = 34. You heard it here first!

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:57 am

-nox- wrote:
Jeb wrote:Everyone thinks the new Blitz game fails (...). Seriously, 37 people were on today (...) and 34 of them said it "Failed" (...).
37 = 34. You heard it here first!
as much as i agree with everyone else about the pointlessness of this thread, he is in no way implying that ALL the people that were on said 'failed,' etc., just most of them apparently. people use 'everyone' a lot when they're exasperated and talking about a large number of people. what hes saying is 34/37 people said these things. I mean yea i suppose he could have reworded it a little better, but it's not that big a fail or anything really.

duece

Post by duece » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:20 pm

What was wrong with it? I don't get what it is that everyone apparently hates.

inevamis

Post by inevamis » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:30 pm

From what I've seen, I think you should lose less than the standard -9 points since your chance of winning decreases very significantly. Also, the teams are always uneven.. and a team having 1 more player in a standard game alrdy is a good advantage but when thers teams of 2 and a team has 1 more person thats a pretty major advantage.

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:45 pm

Blitz was funner without mods, so then some players had to vary up the different type of ships they used. Which was cool.

duece

Post by duece » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:05 pm

Teams only become uneven when people from one side quits, the ratings penalty reduces the depending on how much you're outnumbered. In the blitz rating it has the value for 'minutes' which is basically a tally of all the time spent by each member of the corp.

Also the mods are fine, they really are. Flower plower has been balanced, and basically you get to pick a weapon at a high cost, nobody buys actual mods just weapons.

The most frustrating thing that can happen to you is being on a team that has no shot of winning, but that gets balanced out with being put on teams when you're the clear favorite. If you overall have a positive impact you're rating will rise.

One thing I'd like changed is to up the insurance payouts to what they used to be, once you die you're close to useless for the rest of the game, but on the other hand that rewards killing more.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:58 pm

Jeb wrote:Everyone thinks the new Blitz game fails so please change it back to no-free for all. Seriously, 37 people were on today (5:23 PM Pacific, second game of American Blitz today) and 34 of them said it "Failed" "Sucked" "Not a fair game" "I love puppies" or "Totally hugged". PLEASE dear God make Toonces realize that this is a fail game mode. Anyways, please comment to attract Toonces attention to this obvious problem.

-------------------CHANGE THE GAME FOR BETTER, NOT WORSE---------------------------
JEB it does not phail. you just got owned.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:08 pm

In my experience any blitz game with more than three teams defeated the purpose of teamwork and just was totally gay.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:01 pm

JuliusCaesar wrote:In my experience any blitz game with more than three teams defeated the purpose of teamwork and just was totally gay.
Actually, if you get say 21 players into the game, and you go with 10 v 11 instead of 7 v 7 v 7 then you're making each individual player less able to impact the game in favor of his team, in other words, the more players on a team the more random the outcome for a given individual. If you had say 50 v 50 then it would be coin flip which team wins and no ones skill could shine through. So, the team size must be limited some how so that individual players can have some impact on their team's success. The current way of doing this is by creating multiple teams and more colonies/systems to fight over.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:01 pm

Dave34 wrote:I propose, that the repeller weapon repel projectiles like flower-power, fusion blaster, plasma shooter, and other weapons, but it doesn't repel missle's like nukes negs, and surface missiles, And with the large amount of energy needed to use the repeller that should justify the need for this added effect.
Not a bad idea

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:03 pm

inevamis wrote:when thers teams of 2 and a team has 1 more person thats a pretty major advantage.
Yes, i agree this is a problem, but the next player who joins can even out the teams... i realize this system may have some shortcomings at the moment but i'm not ready to abandon the idea just yet.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:05 pm

Jeb wrote:no-free for all. Seriously, 37 people were on today (5:23 PM Pacific, second game of American Blitz today) and 34 of them said it "Failed"
If the game went FFA and 37 people joined, then the teams should've evened out, no? and that would fix the typical problem with FFA where you get some teams with 2 players and others with only 1, right?

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:22 am

Toonces wrote:
Jeb wrote:no-free for all. Seriously, 37 people were on today (5:23 PM Pacific, second game of American Blitz today) and 34 of them said it "Failed"
If the game went FFA and 37 people joined, then the teams should've evened out, no? and that would fix the typical problem with FFA where you get some teams with 2 players and others with only 1, right?
Yes this is the typical problem. Is there not enough colors or something? lol

salligator

Post by salligator » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:43 am

Mel'Kaven wrote:
Toonces wrote:
What if teams were dropped for free for all, and everyone is independant?

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:48 am

salligator wrote:
Mel'Kaven wrote:
Toonces wrote: If the game went FFA and 37 people joined, then the teams should've evened out, no? and that would fix the typical problem with FFA where you get some teams with 2 players and others with only 1, right?
What if teams were dropped for free for all, and everyone is independant?
but everyone loves the colors. and chaffs voice 8>

0zzy
Location: P1, 11th, a new hope, BR, DF, P3, Pegasus Cluster, your mothers room.

Post by 0zzy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:17 pm

Idea to help balance teams:

Lets say a ffa occurs, 10 people, 10 teams, then 1 person joins, and automatically that team have the advantage. Why not only allow in the people who want to join when theres 10 of them? i.e 10 people must be ready to join for 10 teams, 2 people for 2 teams, so at all times its even teams.

Woots

Post by Woots » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:10 pm

0zzy wrote:Idea to help balance teams:

Lets say a ffa occurs, 10 people, 10 teams, then 1 person joins, and automatically that team have the advantage. Why not only allow in the people who want to join when theres 10 of them? i.e 10 people must be ready to join for 10 teams, 2 people for 2 teams, so at all times its even teams.
Gosh, 0zzy, why not? :P

0zzy sux!

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:13 pm

Mel'Kaven wrote:Is there not enough colors or something? lol
Yes, that is in fact part of the problem

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:14 pm

0zzy wrote:Why not only allow in the people who want to join when theres 10 of them? i.e 10 people must be ready to join for 10 teams, 2 people for 2 teams, so at all times its even teams.
The reason is because person A is waiting around for 9 other people to want to join instead of getting to play. While he's waiting for 9 other people he gets bored and leaves.

FortyTwoAxes

Post by FortyTwoAxes » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:23 pm

Toonces wrote:
Mel'Kaven wrote:Is there not enough colors or something? lol
Yes, that is in fact part of the problem
rainbow team ????? XD

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:06 pm

Meh. Fp is hardly o.p. nowadays.. The nerf has made it much easier to deal with. If you made fp useless, or near useless with such a weapon, blitz would literally require 2x less tactic. If someone's fp'ing a dome, nuke his donkey. Tractor his donkey. Or better yet, body shield it. Fp is good, useful. Not over powered. It forces you to think and make moves. Also, there is a weak point in the fp spray, assuming the guy is an idiot like most people are, and isn't moving.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:41 pm

Toonces wrote:
JuliusCaesar wrote:In my experience any blitz game with more than three teams defeated the purpose of teamwork and just was totally gay.
Actually, if you get say 21 players into the game, and you go with 10 v 11 instead of 7 v 7 v 7 then you're making each individual player less able to impact the game in favor of his team, in other words, the more players on a team the more random the outcome for a given individual. If you had say 50 v 50 then it would be coin flip which team wins and no ones skill could shine through. So, the team size must be limited some how so that individual players can have some impact on their team's success. The current way of doing this is by creating multiple teams and more colonies/systems to fight over.
i understand your reasoning, and it's perfectly fine if the multiple teams have like 7 people each, it makes teamwork more important and the game results less random. The issue I'm having is 4-7 teams of 2-4 people each. Because while teamwork is important, an element of skill is also needed. If it's you and another decent player with 2 retards on your team, going up against teams with IG ships, planet control, or just having decent teams all-around, then you're screwed no matter what you do. The team-making system, in these cases, places teams and players at disadvantages with bad teammates naturally when team sizes are small. I'm not saying go back to 2 teams, but give a minimum team size of like 5.

inevamis

Post by inevamis » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:34 pm

Toonces what about my idea of making people lose less points in FFA since the odds of winning are about 150% less? This will take the sting out of it for people that get "screwed" over with a bad or outnumbered team.

Also.. hopefully this would make it so that the winner gets less points. I've heard about some of the people atop the rankings (won't mention any names XD) who are basically winning by token whoring FFA rounds. I know it may seem like this could lead to less token sales but in the long run every1 is happier with the game.